1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those of you who travel regularly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baloo, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Baloo

Baloo Member

And don't check luggage, how do you handle the contact lens situation? I haven't found any saline solution bottles smaller than 4 oz., which is one more than allowed. I've sneaked it past security a few times, but also gotten caught and had to throw it out.

Has anyone heard whether companies are working on coming out with smaller bottles? I'm just wondering because I'm actually having trouble finding the 4 oz. bottles. Last trip, I just stuck with glasses, because I just hate to check luggage for a 2-day trip.

2. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I haven't flown since the new restictions, but might be soon and this is something I hadn't thought about.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

not a contact wearer, just had a thought, could you go to a tupperware store or something and get a 3-oz. plastic bottle, and fill it every time you go on a trip?

4. Baloo

Baloo Member

Well, there's the whole sterile situation. Plus I can't do that with the cleanser solution I use, which also at the moment only comes in nothing smaller than 4 oz.

I've tried filling the case with saline solution, and using that for the first night. But it only works one night.

thanks for the suggestion, though, Mert. I've done that with other liquids/gels. Personally, I don't think one quart-size bag is very much space.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

it would be sterile if you put the empty 4-oz container in the dishwasher, wouldn't it?

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think this should work. I did it once and had no trouble.

Just put the small bottle of solution in your pants pocket when you walk through the metal detector. It has no metal and won't set off the detectors, and you're not getting patted down.

I did it once back in early October with a small tube of Nivea for Men face lotion because it's about 6 bucks and I didn't feel like throwing it out just because I didn't have a small plastic bag to put it in. I put it in my pocket and walked right through. Once you're at the gate, put it back in your travel bag or shaving kit or whatever.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

You can always take the label off and say that the bottle is 3 oz size.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Way to go. Now you've given terrorists a loophole. Why do you hate America, old_tony?

9. old_tony

Had I not done that, the terrorists would have won. ;)

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I usually never check luggage, but I have been since the new restrictions went into effect... It was just too much of a pain in the ass the other way...

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

What's the problem with checking luggage? I went to Florida for just a few days last week and checked my bag both ways and had no problems. It's not that big of a deal to wait a few minutes for it, is it?

12. old_tony

Well, it generally means getting to the airport at least 90 minutes before the flight instead of 45-60. Right now I'm able to just go to the kiosk of automatic check-in machines and cruise right through. And another option is checking in online and printing out your boarding pass.

If you check bags, there's the standing in line BS.

Draft saved Draft deleted