1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the Wilco fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Jun 6, 2009.

1. I like this album. It reminds me a lot of "Summerteeth," and "You Never Know" sounds like it came right off of "Being There." Very "Monday"-ish.

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Been away for awhile, so I missed this thread. But...

1: YHF
    2: Being There
    3: Mermaid Ave.
    4: A Ghost is Born
    5: Summerteeth
    6: AM
    7: Sky Blue Sky

And Kicking Television is excellent. One of my favorite live albums, with some moments that are absolutely sublime.
    As far as songs go, God, that's tough. They're so different. It's hard enough to compare albums. But Jesus, Etc., So Misunderstood and Via Chicago would have to be on any top 10 list of mine.
    Haven't caught the new album yet, but looking forward to it.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Hopefully, in the future, Tweedy will think of fans like wtd and once again start suffering debilitating headaches and become addicted to painkillers in order to keep the creative fire burning.

As for the new album, it's certainly not as ambitious as the typical Wilco effort musically, but it's not elevator music. "Subtly complex" is the term I've used to describe it a couple of times. Lyrically, I think it's some of the best work Tweedy has done. Thank God it isn't weighed down with the type of nonsensical lyrics that litter YHF, which sinks lower and lower on my list of albums the more I listen to everything else Wilco has done. I think too many people are quick to embrace YHF because they're supposed to, without actually giving it a critical listen.

If we're only going by full Wilco studio albums (I'm wearing out Kicking Television lately and I love Mermaid Ave., Vol. I), here's my list:

1. Being There
    2. AGIB
    3. Wilco (the album)
    4. Summerteeth
    5. YHF
    *I haven't listened to SBS and A.M. enough to make them part of the list.

Songs? Hell, in no particular order, I'll just list a few of my favorites by album.

Far, Far Away
    Say You Miss Me
    Someday Soon
    Forget The Flowers
    (Was I) In Your Dreams

At Least That's What You Said
    Hell Is Chrome
    Spiders (Kidsmoke)
    Handshake Drugs

One Wing
    Solitaire
    I'll Fight

We're Just Friends
    How To Fight Loneliness
    Via Chicago

Jesus. Etc.

4. Lunker

Lunker New Member

Caught them at The Greek in Berkeley last weekend ... incredible show!

I had a ho-hum initial reaction to the new album, too, but it's starting to grow on me. Especially "Solitare" and "Deeper Down." ("One Wing" and "I'll Fight" were immediate faves.) The only clunker, IMO, is "Country Disappeared."

5. cute

all i said is i prefer his earlier stuff, AM & the records with jay bennett

i don't wish migraines and drug dependency on jeff tweedy, i just think the last two records are boring

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Gotta play.

Of the full albums I own:
    1. Being There
    2. Summerteeth
    3. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    4. Wilco (the album)

Kicking Television would be No. 2 on that list.

Songs (no order after songs 4 or 5 or so):
    1. Misunderstood
    2. Handshake Drugs
    3. Jesus Etc.
    4. Hummingbird
    5. Can't Stand It
    6. Heavy Metal Drummer
    7. Kingpin
    8. A Shot in the Arm
    9. Forget the Flowers
    10. Red-Eyed and Blue

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Report from the Wilmington show last night ...

* Of the three shows I've seen, this was by far the best, though last year's Raleigh show gets an asterisk because I missed like three songs thanks to my ex messing around all day and making us late to the show.

* Tweedy just seemed to be in a fantastic mood last night. He's generally kind of playful with the crowd, but he was really into it last night, cracking jokes, interacting, trying to figure out why a gigantic piece of celery was one of the Wilmington Blue Rocks' mascots. Mr Celery came on stage before the first encore to pump up the crowd, and people responded by throwing celery at him. No idea where folks came up with all that celery. At one point during Kidsmoke, Tweedy hops down to the fence separating the crowd from the stage and lets fans strum his guitar while he plays the chords. It was really fun to watch.

* They played five songs from the new record, opened with Wilco (the song). Sonny Feeling has the potential to be Monday, Part 2. And Bull Branch Nova was sick live. Also played One Wing and You Never Know. Thankfully, they kept the slower songs in the bag.

* Nels Cline just fascinates me. He's quite the showman, and I love watching how many different guitars he goes throw during a show, including a sit-down slide guitar for Jesus, etc. He takes over a lot of songs, especially the newer stuff, but he knows when to fade a bit and let Jeff take over during the older stuff.

* Counted 47 "nothings" during Misunderstood.

* Two-plus hours and two encores, six songs in the encores.

* Deep pulls -- Box Full of Letters, Can't Stand It, I'm Always in Love.

Just a tremendous show. Makes me want to drive to Lowell, Mass. or Brooklyn to do it all over again!

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sounds like the boys are still at the top of their game, Cosmo. "Box Full of Letters" is indeed a great pull from their great catalog of older tunes. I'm hopeful they'll announce more concert dates after the European leg of their tour is done.

And kudos to the Wilmington crowd for coming up with the celery.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wilco touring w/ Bob Dylan this summer:

[​IMG]

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/news/americanarama-festival-music-tour-summer

June 26 - West Palm Beach, FL / Cruzan Amphitheatre
    June 27 - Tampa, FL / Live Nation Amp. @ Forida State Fairgrounds
    June 29 - Atlanta, GA / Aaron's Amphitheatre @ Lakewood
    Jun 30 - Nashville, TN / The Lawn at Riverfront Park
    July 02 - Memphis, TN / Autozone Park
    July 05 - Noblesville, IN / Klipsch Music Center
    July 06 - Cincinnati, OH / Riverbend Music Center
    July 07 - Columbus, OH / Nationwide Arena
    July 10 - St. Paul, MN / Midway Stadium
    July 11 - Peoria, IL / Chiefs Stadium
    July 12 - Chicago, IL / Toyota Park
    July 14 - Clarkston, MI / DTE Energy Music Theatre
    July 15 - Toronto, ON, CA / Molson Amphitheatre
    July 18 - Darien Center, NY / Darien Lake PAC
    July 19 - Bridgeport, CT / The Ball Park at Harbor Yard
    July 20 - Mansfield, MA / Comcast Center
    July 21 - Saratoga Springs, NY / Saratoga PAC
    July 23 - Columbia, MD / Merriwether Post Pavilion
    July 24 - Virginia Beach, VA / Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach
    July 26 - Hoboken, NJ / Pier A Park
    July 27 - Wantagh, NY / Nikon at Jones Beach Theater
    July 28 - Camden, NJ / Susquehanna Bank Center
    July 31 - Englewood, CO / Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
    Aug 01 - Salt Lake City, UT / Usana Amphitheatre
    Aug 03 - Irvine, CA / Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
    Aug 04 - Mountain View, CA / Shoreline Amphitheatre

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Oh hell yeah! Three shows within 2 hours of me?! I'm there.

11. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

It never fails, a show I'd love to see hits town the two weeks a year we're on vacation. And of course, they hit where we're going the week after we get back.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

For Wilco/Tweedy fans, check out the By The Way podcast hosted by comedian Jeff Garlin. Tweedy sat down with him for about 90 minutes. Good stuff.

Garlin has also had Conan, Ferrell, Galifinakis, Larry David and more as guests.

Draft saved Draft deleted