1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the many Missouri wonks: Missourian story on the QB's girlfriend

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ralph Smith, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith New Member

What a great newspaper feature this was.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Could've been a good story if it would have examined the celebrity culture of athletes in college.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

At the end of the day, they both are just really, really young people involved in a year-long "serious" relationship.
    So be it.
    The story lacks a whole lot of hard-hitting stuff.
    It is what it is.
    Not worth much more ink, until they perhaps decide to get married.
    Both are really, really young and need time to sew their oats.

4. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

The writer's getting ripped for it, but it's not like she did a bad job. The story could have gone deeper than it did, but it shows a different side of Chase Daniel than most people get to see and the girl agreed to do the story, so I don't see the big fuss. People are reading it at least.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

It's fluffy, but it was also a good, quick read. Could someone at the KC Star done better? Sure. But I applaud anytime the student paper decides to zig when everyone else is zagging.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd agree with that assessment. Nothing shocking, but a nice, quick breezy read...

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the story. In fact, as schools continue to button down coaches and players, limit access and one-on-one opportunities, I'd expect to see more of it.

8. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Not a student paper.

9. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

I did a piece on that topic a few years back. I looked at how they were perceived as "better" and they got a lot of "perks." A few of the players even admitted, anonymously, to having the opportunity to cheat. The Big College State sports information department basically cut me off after that. From the day that went to print until I left the paper.

Not that I blame them, really. They have their job to do.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I remember a similar story about the down-to-earth star quarterback. He's just a regular guy. Dating the classmate who is on the basketball team.
    How did the Matt Leinart-Brynn Cameron relationship turn out?

11. why is this a story?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why isn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted