1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Political Partisans: Say Something Nice About The Other Side

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Hey, I wasn't the first.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I find politicians of any kind unpalatable. I'd never vote for him to run the country, but McCain seems like he'd be the least objectionable to share a meal with or sit next to at a ballpark.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Shhhh .... Don't let FB hear you say that. He'll say you're killing self government.

4. If you don't vote, for whatever reason, if you opt out of the process, you are.
    Sorry.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My heart swells with pride that I did not write that line.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't believe Frank said he didn't vote, just that he found politicians unpalatable.

I like McCain's views on torture and Ron Paul's view on the war. I like a lot of Olympia Snow's views (is she even still around?), but I'm so far to the left that it's tough to find many views I agree with on the other side (or hell, even on my side).

Course there are members of the GOP whose views I can respect and understand where they're coming from, I just don't agree with them (Huckabee comes immediately to mind).

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hard to believe, today . . . but prior to Reagan, the GOP WAS the by-god party of fiscal responsibility.

That stoutly-held principle cost them some national elections.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I tried this thread a couple of years ago and got flamed by both sides. Good times.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I hear Mitt Romney is hung like a moose.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I admire how the Republicans have the tenacity to fight for what they want to get done, as misguided as I think it is. They're still doing it today, even from the minority. I respect their ability to not burst into laughter when Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi claim that Bush will "not get a blank check on Iraq -- and this time, we really, really mean it."

Oh, and I've always thought Susan Molinari is as cute as a button.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I like Bill Clinton for marrying and having affairs with less-than-attractive women and leaving the hotties for others. ;D ;D

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Same as other folks here, I like a lot of what Huckabee has to offer, but the creationism thing is a deal-breaker for me. I think I could warm to Ron Paul, but the odds of winning the GOP nomination are only slightly better than mine. McCain ... much the same as others. Much respect for his service and his stance against torture, but sidling up to Rev. Falwell and his embrace of the war are off-putting.

As for the Democrats, Richardson strikes me as a guy I could support — experienced at home and abroad, solid track record of diplomacy. I've heard a handful of people suggest he's sleazy in some way or another, but I've never heard anything concrete. I also like Wee Dennis' environmental views, but he's in much the same boat as Ron Paul.

Since I'm a registered independent, though, I suppose I'll just sit tight and see who survives the primaries.

Draft saved Draft deleted