1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For once, Simmons might be on to something...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 7, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Normally, Billy-boy is lampooned mercilessly here for being a tool and a whining New England fanboy. But in reading his pre-season NFL column, I saw something that really made a lot of sense and I'm surprised no one is really talking about this.

Just in case you forgot, Little has DUI-related death on his hands, then gets busted for a DUI again six years later.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

To quote another Mr. Simmons (Ron) ......... DAMN!

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Simple explanation -- different commissioners. Had Little's legal troubles arose now with Goodell in charge, I'm sure it would be much different.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Simmons is far from the first one to mention this. Google Vick and Little together and you'll see that it's been pointed out fairly often. It's just that most people are so dead-set on hating Vick that they refuse to even deal with the fact that Little's offense didn't receive a fraction of the outrage that Vick's did.

5. This was brought up here several times on the Vick threads. Nothing new.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Tomorrow on Page 2...

Bill Simmons on why cancer is bad, and grass is green.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What a dumb ass construct. By that line of thinking, I'm going to stop writing about government because the Bush administration has used torture.

Have we learned nothing from Stuart Scott? Hate the player, not the game.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Logic class, please.

9. To be fair, Simmons "not writing about the Rams in protest" is akin to a hot dog eating champion refusing one weiner because it has char-grill marks on it. 1. who fucking cares if Simmons is protesting, 2. Everyone's right, the Little comparison with Vick has been made by hundreds of people who possess fully-functioning brains, and 3. So Billy boy took 50 words to proudly proclaim that he wouldn't write about the Rams, when a simple, "they're OK, but they still have Leonard Little, so I can't root for them" would have worked.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

What, you want me to teach you some? OK, it is not logical that two such horrific acts should be met with such different public reactions. I'm not even talking about the punishment from the legal system or the NFL, I'm just referring to the general public's level of anger. I'm not interested in getting into a long, tiresome debate about it, since that's been done ad nauseam. I just find it curious that Vick gets 1,000 times the vitriol for torturing and killing dogs than Little got for driving drunk, killing a woman, and then driving drunk again.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Vick is a lot more famous. Doesn't make it right, but that is the logical reason why there's more outrage over Vick.

12. There's a very fine line between egregious and pathetic irresponsibility, and actual intended cruelty. Neither is terribly savory, but it makes sense that Vick would get the firmer punishment. Little's just should have been firmer in its own right.

Draft saved Draft deleted