1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For old NASL fans...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I just got done watching "Once in a Lifetime", the documentary on the New York Cosmos.

Crazy, turbulent, beautiful account, centered on that ridiculous year in New York City, 1977, including that glorious day, four days after the arrest of David Berkowitz, when the Cosmos sold out Giants Stadium for a playoff game against my team, the Fort Lauderdale Strikers.

These guys were, really, like the goddamned Beatles that year.

Extras on the DVD include a video that I never thought I would see again, including a Soccer Bowl 1980 highlights extra (against Fort Lauderdale). For Chicago Sting fans, there is a similar package from the 1981 title game. And one on Pele's final game.

One really surprising quote comes from Johann Cruyff (who I have never really warmed to for his Dutch-team freeze-out of my favorite player, Jan van Beveren), who says that if European soccer had any sense, they would adopt the tie-breaker format the NASL had (overtime, followed by the from-the-35-yard-line, 5-second shootouts). Those guys are usually so provincial about soccer.

And, wow, the overflowing ego of Giorgio Chinaglia is something to watch.

Anyway, if you were sitting in an NASL stadium regularly, as I was from 1977-1981, this is absolutely must viewing.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

See, most of the people I spent time with when I went to MLS matches blasted the NASL. Too many foreign players, not nearly enough Americans. And the tiebreaker was considered an abomination.

In fact, one of the things I praise Don Garber for is the fact that most of MLS's changes the past few years have made MLS more closely resemble real footy. Before he got there, MLS was a caricature of a soccer league. Now it has more of the feel of the REAL football.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I saw the Chicago Sting beat the Montreal Manic, I think in '81. I've never been a big soccer fan, but I enjoyed the hell out of that game. I think the final score was 10-3. What's the name of that Chicago film?

4. Simon_Cowbell

Over penalty kicks, the NASL shootout is superior.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I find both the shootout or penalty kicks odious.

If it's a Cup final, I'd prefer playing golden goal until someone wins.

6. Simon_Cowbell

BTW, some nice interview material with the late, great music mogul Ahmet Ertegun, who co-founded the Cosmos in 1971.

7. Simon_Cowbell

I don't think that a goal scored 250 minutes in by one utterly worn-out team over another, undercutting that winner's chances of performing in the ensuing game is palatable.

A guy having five seconds to shoot, starting from 35 yards out is the best compromise.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Except it's completely staged.

A penalty kick can be awarded in the natural flow of the game, which is why it's used to break ties. It is something that players are used to doing.

Same reason why in hockey shootouts, the shot mirrors a penalty shot with the puck starting on the center dot.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The most fascinating thing about that league was that it had a franchise in Rochester, N.Y. And I think it had the longest tenure of any franchise.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Lancers.... first game I ever saw involved Rochester.

11. KoM

KoM Member

After watching that movie, I think the argument can be made the Chinaglia not only destroyed the Cosmos, but the entire league. Maybe he didn't directly cause either's demise, but at least hastened it.

Some of his demands and the way conducted business with the Cosmos was crazy.

That having been said, as a kid I sure did like watching him play.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What's wrong with you people Chinaglia single-handedly put soccer on the map in the USA! If everybody would listen to him the NASL would still be around and it would be the top soccer league in the world. Players in the EPL, Serie A, La Liga and Germany's top league (which I never can spell) would be clamoring to come to America. And the USMNT would have won at least two World Cups.

And if you don't believe all that, just ask Chinaglia. He'll tell you himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted