1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For my fellow aircraft geeks...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Feb 13, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...a link (below) to yesterday's Parade of Flight celebrating the 100th Anniversary of US Navy Aviation.

I attended the event at Naval Air Station North Island on Coronado. It was a once-in-a-lifetime event. More than 150 aircraft flew over the bay, representing ever model of every Navy and Marine aircraft in service, and the static displays showed off dozens of aircraft, from a model of the Curtiss' original seaplane that first flew on Coronado Bay in 1911, to the new drone that first flew last week. Many of the aircraft were painted in special, 100th Anniversary livery.

The event was so cool, the Blue Angels (who did a diamond-formation flyby to start the event) were overshadowed by an even more eye-popping fly-over: The entire air-wing from the Stennis aircraft carrier flew over to end the show.

[​IMG]

Great event (even if the 3-hour traffic jam leaving the island was the worst I've ever experienced!).

Here's some coverage:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/feb/11/u-t-offer-live-coverage-parade-flight/

Lots of Youtube video, including of the flyover:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That is cool! Wish I could have attended. Thanks for the links.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Love military aircraft. I figure jets are absolutely out of the question, but someday... somehow... I want to fly an old F4 Corsair. They're supposed to be incredibly fun to pilot.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Who won the volleyball tournament?

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Dunno; but I do know the Seahawks on display were a lot cleaner than yours, I bet.

;)

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

That sounds awesome -- I love aircraft museums. The one in Dayton, Ohio, is probably the best I've ever seen. The Smithsonian is great but wish it was larger. There's a good outdoor one in Tucson, Arizona, too, near the famous military aircraft graveyard.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Corrected. 8)

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Thanks. I never get tired of stuff like this. I had a chance to go up with the Blue Angels about 10 years; without question one of the great experiences of my life.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mav and Goose - again.

Draft saved Draft deleted