1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For current or fallen Catholics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Jun 27, 2011.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Catholic for roughly 28 years then went atheist. YET...I still have unsettled business with the church.

I hate the stance on abortion, kiddie fiddling and general asshatery puked from the pulpit, but it breaks my heart when I have to hear stories from older relatives or friends about how this or that long-standing church is being closed. Even in my jaded state about religion, I still understand the need for community and those traditional ties to the old country that the church provided. The former parishioners don't get all weepy and go into depression because they have to find somewhere else to go. No, it's more about a loss of identity and relationships built around the place.

And the stories about crooked priests these days makes my blood boil. At the church my mom and dad attend, there's some Russian priest who does all sorts of shady shit with money - including allegedly selling indulgences (yes, that's right.) Heard about some other local priest (also from Eastern Europe) this week who owns a Lexus and a very expensive SUV along with some major real estate in Florida. He's presiding over a cluster of parish closings because of financial reasons. Funny thing is the parishes' finances were allegedly in good shape before he arrived two years earlier.

Draft saved Draft deleted