1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For "Ball Four" fans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 1, 2012.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

You can last a long time when you avoid catching knuckleball pitchers in the bullpen.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just finished reading the Kindle download - not sure I knew before about Bouton's daughter. Had a hard time reading that portion.

Overall it was fun to catch up with the book again but that part threw me.

Bouton responded to my email, said at some point he's going to sell his entire collection of notes, memorabilia, etc., and the buyer can do whatever he/she wants. Bouton would like to see it end up in a library somewhere

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It all ought to go into the Hall of Fame somewhere (it is a museum first and foremost, after all), but won't.
    I have the great pleasure to report that my son, who doesn't even like baseball (too slow) very much, downloaded the book for our recent trip to Europe and loved every page. Now he likes baseball better.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Your son or baseball? [/ducking]

5. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Hey, how come Plaza's obit doesn't mention his stint with the Pilots? You bastards!

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, the obit covers his whole career, but skips over 1969.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Jim Fucking Bunning with that shit slider of his?

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He can do that AND also do a book on The Making of Ball Four. Best of both worlds.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Even if the HOF ends up with it (and it very well could with an eventual buyer's donation/loan), that doesn't mean they'll be able to display it to the public.

I've never been down to the vault (... yet), but it's mind-blowing how much stuff is in Cooperstown that no one's ever seen.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I just finished the e-book the other day, too. I remembered the NYT letter that his son wrote and the reception Bouton got at the old-timers' game, so I think I knew that "the unsinkable Molly Brown" had died young.

But I had never read Bouton's "Ball Seven" account of it all. Almost had to stop reading in the middle of it. That was heartbreaking.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Boy, did he have Crosetti pegged.

Draft saved Draft deleted