1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For all the oppressed white males out there....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dream job, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

EZal,

Take it EZ. Hey, anyone who would tell that to a prospective job candidate is so dumb and so begging to get sued that you would be a fool to work for him/her. So Joe King is lucky.

I've been in a situation where the powers that be clearly wanted to hire a minority canidate and we sometimes ended up hiring a white guy -- for various reasons.

I've also had sad sack applicants call and ask me if we were going to consider hiring white males for an opening. (Hey, you think so little of yourself, that's strike two, I thought to myself.)

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

zeke,

Actual quotas are illegal, I believe. I also think companies are bound by the government to show good faith in equal opportunity hiring. Otherwise they open themselves up to lawsuits and other trouble from the EEOC. Looking at the numbers, they're doing the bare minimum on that front.

Frankly, if I hear that a news director is looking for a male anchor or a minority (I'm a white woman), I'm glad for the information. Knowing not to bother is saving me time, money and effort.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Well, that's good to know.

If the goal is simply not to waste time, I'd like the newspaper to identify its plan to hire recent college graduates or idiots who won't make the idiots in charge feel dumb.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

As has already been recounted on another thread, I felt the same way the first time it happened. That changed after it happened multiple times.

And Ace, I also addressed on that other thread why nobody is going to sue over this. Among other reasons (lawsuits are difficult and costly, and there's no guarantee you'll win because I'm not even sure what they've done is against the law), you would be painted as a racist/white supremacist as the David Dukes of the world come out in support of you, or you'd be a national laughing stock, like that guy who's good enough to work at the Plain Dealer.

5. Lugnuts

Except he wasn't. That's my point.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not saying I would sue or you should. I just think a good manager tries not to give people opportunities to do so. Believe me, I have seen people sue newspapers over much, much less.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Apparently, however, you completely missed mine.

8. Lugnuts

Joe,

I'm sorry if you've been the victim of quotas. But there are a lot of white men working in sports journalism. If you're good, you'll find your opportunity.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Wow. That's one of the all-time most ludicrous statements in the history of this board. It's also typical of the paranoia and limited perspective of some white males. Take a look back at the numbers in the story that started this thread: 6 out of every 100 jobs are held by blacks. 9 out of every 10 sports editors are white males. Almost 9 out of every 10 sports columnists are white males. How can anyone look at those numbers and say, "See how hard it is to be a white man in this business?"

If nobody's interested in hiring white males anymore, if all the jobs are going to minorities, why do the numbers still look like this? Were all these white guys hired before the entire journalism industry decided to give all the jobs to minorities? If you're a white male who believes you weren't even considered for a job because of the color of your skin, I'll take you at your word and I'm sorry to hear it. But that is an extremely, extremely rare occurrence, as all the statistics indicate. You should also keep in mind that whatever hiring disadvantages you may face because of being white pale in comparison to the discrimination that blacks and other minorities faced in this business for decades.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Right . . . and that's why when I look around my current shop and think back on past ones all I see are white males, because minorities get all the jobs out there . . . right.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Ezal, the most polite way I can put this is, you're an idiot! :eek:

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

This thread, before this comment, is officially retarded.

If newspapers are even still alive in 100 years, the quota problem will still be around, along with the myriad other problems that pervade newspaper hiring.

Pathetic.

Draft saved Draft deleted