1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For all the garbage on Sportscenter, every now and then they hit a home run

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Nov 9, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm watching the feature on the Mancini-Kim fight and it's absolutely wonderful. A story told with video, stills and insights from those who covered the fight and were in the fight.

Nice job, ESPN.

2. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I thought they did an excellent job the piece about Boomer Esiason and his son.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Those pieces were good, but let's face it, they were filler because there's not enough shit for a 60-minute SportsCenter.

And I was actually offended that boomer wasn't at the game where his kid threw the TD pass. I never liked Boomer, ever, and that just solidified my belief that he's a raving phony. Your kid has overcome this potentially fatal illness to play HS football and you can't fucking show up on a Saturday afternoon to watch the game just in case he, you know, REALIZES HIS LIFELONG DREAM BY THROWING A TD PASS?!?! I can't conceive of any reason why Boomer couldn't have made the game. It was on Long Island and the CBS pre-game show shoots in Manhattan. Terrible.

4. Maybe he didn't think the kid could do it.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Ergo, Boomer's a phony.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm sorry but that's really funny.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

How can you call the man a phony when he has by all accounts devoted so much of his time to his son and to raising money for cystic fibrosis research? We have no idea why he wasn't at the game, and unless we do, no one has any business calling him a phony in regards to his relationship with his kid.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Devoting time and money to a cause doesn't stop people from calling Curt Schilling a phony.

I'm sorry, but when your kid moves from death's doorstop (and it sounded like Gunnar was very, very sick earlier this year) to the sidelines, a father should be at the game...especially when his son's one dream is to throw a TD pass.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

throw enough shit on a wall, sometimes some of it sticks.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

A father spends 17 years raising a son with CF, raising money for research, sitting at his hospital bedside pounding his back to loosen the phlegm -- and somebody with no knowledge of the situation comes along and calls him a phony. I'm sorry, but you have absolutely no business saying that. What if Gunnar insisted his dad to to work because he didn't want any special treatment? There could be any number of reasons why Boomer wasn't there. Call him a phony as a broadcaster, but none of us has any right to question his relationship to his son based on his absence from one football game.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So, why weren't you at the game, Boomer?

Draft saved Draft deleted