1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Footloose comes to life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 8, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Now this is a hilarious -- a thread full of many of the loudest and proudest "separation of church and state" crowd from around here now want to tell a PRIVATE Christian school how to conduct their business, particularly when they clearly have a policy statement that is signed by parents before they send their kids there which clearly states what is and isn't acceptable behaviour.......

Nope, no hypocrisy there.... ::)

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

But the PRIVATE SCHOOL PRINCIPAL signed off on it. If anything's hypocritical, it's that policy and principal.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think that point has already been made on this thread. The general consensus seems to be that the school is perfectly within its rights to set whatever goofy rules of conduct it wants, being that it's a private school.

And, that since the principal of said private school signed a permission slip, he's being a douchebag by now threatening punishment.

It isn't a mutually exclusive argument.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

At KG's church.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1828007//

5. zagoshe

It is not hypocritical - the principal spelled it out very simply when he said "I'll sign it but the ball is in your court -- are you going to honor our code or break our code?"

It is called allowing a teenager to make a choice and then enforcing his decision.

I have no problem at all with it.

And I have no problem with seperating church and state and have no problem keeping God out of public schools -- just as long as the government and everyone else keeps their noses out of church business, which this clearly is.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And his parents chose to send him there. If parents hire a babysitter & say that the kids have to listen, is that OK? Why is this hard to understand?

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's different.

A school, private or public, IMHO should not be able to say what students can and cannot do when they are not at school or on school grounds.

8. zagoshe

Yes, they should so long as it is spelled out in their policies and in this case, parents and kids sign off on it before they go there.

Private school. Private school rules.

You don't like it, you think it is lunacy, you think it is idiotic, you think it is un-American - fine -- DON'T SEND YOUR FUCKING KID THERE.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You can have whatever HO you want, but why is it different?

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Well, when you're talking about private schools, your opinion is wrong. What part of "private" do you not understand?

11. Habeas Corpus

Habeas Corpus Member

I went to a public school, and if I were to have a cigarette or dip -- even when I was a senior and 18 years old -- it was an athletic code violation and I would have to sit out 20 percent of the season of whatever sport I was in at the time.

I'm pretty much an extremist "All Religion is Evil" guy, but as others have said... the family sent him to that school willingly. It's their own fault they are in this situation.

12. lono

lono Active Member

Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, I was stopped by a high school assistant principal for holding hands with my girlfriend in the hallway.

When I asked what the problem was, he said, "Holding hands leads to pregnancy."

"I'll be sure to wear rubber gloves," I replied.

That earned me a trip to the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted