1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Footloose comes to life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 8, 2009.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Yes. You didn't go to this school.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

While I fully understand the school’s policy here, I have to side with the boy and the family.

Aside from the obvious crazy factor involved, you have to take into account timing, preparation and cost. Going to a prom requires the booking of a limo. Those that have gone through this know that you can’t just book it two weeks out and expect to get something. Then you also have the renting of a tux. Once again, some guy can’t walk into a tux shop two weeks before prom and expect to receive what he’s looking for.

So the kid goes to his principal and says, “I need you to sign a permission slip to go to another school’s prom.” The principal agrees to sign the permission slip. That is what a permission slip does. It gives the student permission to go. The principal adds the caveat of “there will be consequences if you do go.”

Sorry, but you gave the kid permission. You can’t suddenly tell the kid that he can’t go. Either tell him that he can’t and not sign the permission slip.

On top of all this, the consequences weren’t spelled out. Maybe the kid thought he would receive detention. That seems fair and reasonable given the craziness of the policy.

The kid goes home and tells his girlfriend that he’s going with her. Now, put yourself back into high school and tell me what kind of reaction would occur if the boy went back to the girl and said, “I’m sorry. I can no longer go to the prom with you.” Yeah, that would not be a good reaction.

Thus, the kid is in a bind. He’s likely outlaid and/or committed some cash to the event already. He has psyched himself and his date’s hopes up for the event taking place. Suddenly, the school drops the hammer.

Sorry. Fuck them.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That prinicpal is a dick. Don't give me this shit about respecting the Bible or making choices for God or whatever.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-5 (New International Version)

Ecclesiastes 3
    A Time for Everything
    1 There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under heaven:
    2 a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,

Also:

Psalm 149:3 Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with
    tambourine and harp.

Psalm: 150:4 praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings
    and flute,

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So he should follow school rules when he isn't at school or a function related to said school? That's fucked up.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Private schools can abide by their own set of rules ... if they want to put in the charter that you have to wear underwear on your head at all times, they can ... if you pay the money and sign the forms saying you will abide by the rules, you're bound by them. If they say you have to follow certain rules of decorum even while off campus, and you (or your parents) agree, you're stuck.

That said, in this case, the principal signed a permission slip, so I don't see what the fuckin' problem is.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Not trying to threadjack, but epic fucking fail there.

Why is everything coming out of Hollywood these days either a sequel or a remake?

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I don't care how much money you pay for your education. I don't care if it is monkeys running the school. I don't care. I don't care. I don't care. Those people, that money... whatever.. have no say in your life OUTSIDE of school or a school function.
    That's what parents are for.
    I mean, if school dictates your whole life, my daughter can only wear collared shirts all the time and must have on sleeves. No slogans on her shirt. Oh wait, those are her public school rules. Does she have to dress like that outside of school. Because according to someone posting here, she does. Does she? No.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

"I thought this was a party?!!? Let's DANCE!!"

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If the parents control the kids life, the parents have the right to choose or not to choose to sign the kid over to a school with rules that include outside behavior.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Unless you sign a binding piece of paper saying that they do.

If a school says it wants to control your every waking moment ... and you don't want it to ... here's a novel idea ... DON'T VOLUNTARILY GO TO THAT SCHOOL.

You're making this a lot more difficult than it needs to be.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Nice job, Heritage Christian! You're the top story on Yahoo.com right now!

Draft saved Draft deleted