1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

football stats questions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by whatwoulddamondo?, Oct 20, 2006.

1. two honest-to-goodness questions. i'm wondering if i've been wrong for my very brief time in the business.

1. rushing yardage on a holding penalty. how would you factor this? i'd always given the runner X amount of yards (to the spot of the foul), then added 10 yards to the penalty ledger. now someone's telling me that you don't count it as a rush attempt for the ball carrier, and you adjust the penalty yardage from the line of scrimmage.

2. first-down conversions on touchdowns. i've always been told that when you score a touchdown you have converted for a first down, no matter where you are. a co-worker now says that if you are in a XXX-and-goal situation, scoring a touchdown does not count as a first down for statistical purposes.

yeah, i'm a dumbass for not knowing this, but i'd prefer to get it right. thanks for any help!

2. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

1. Runner gets the yardage to the spot of the foul, then assess a 10-yard penalty. You had it correct there.

2. Your co-worker is right. You only get a first-down conversion on a TD if it's possible to get a first down on the play.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What he said.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Yup.. first downs only happen on scoring plays of 11 yards or longer.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Not necessarily. If Podunk has a 3rd-and-1 at the Nowheresville 6 yard line and Johnny B. Goode runs it in for the score, that is a first down. You can have a one-yard touchdown count as a first down if the first down marker is at the half yard line.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

But then you would have to credit it as a 2-yard run. You have to have one yard to make the first down. If done so without scoring, you still have to have a yard to go to the end zone.

The flip side is the guy who got it to or inside the 1 without making a first down has to get shorted a yard to make it all add up. The field (in the United States, any way) is 100 yards and no play or drive can be for more than 99 yards.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I know you guys are right, but I find that scoring weird.

If someone is scoring a TD, I just think it would be more accurate to give him a first-down on all occasions, than not.

Usually, no one has tackled the guy if he has reached the end zone.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The TD-first down rule is responsible for one of my favorite weird stats.
    In the 1940 NFL title game, the Bears beat the Redskins 73-0.
    Washington had more first downs in the game.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My thought has always been that on 1st-and-goal, you cannot acheive another first down, so it shouldn't be a first down if you score a touchdown.

If that's the case, shouldn't you give two first downs to someone who runs for a 70-yard score?

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Point taken.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We had a wacky prep game Friday that was a total mismatch. The winning team won 54-0, but it could've (and should've) been a LOT worse. The winning team scored 8 TDs and 4 of them were on one-play drives. The team's stud accounted for 321 total yards on just 9 touches of the ball and scored 7 TDs (4 rushing, 3 passing) and also scored a 2-point conversion and kicked 2 PATs.

Total number of first downs: 7.

Don't ask me how. (Apparently the coaches agreed to run the clock continuously early on.)

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If the hold occurs behind or at the line of scrimmage, the RB isn't credited with a rush attempt and isn't saddled with a negative rush, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted