1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football stats question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sutpen, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Which would make it a TD pass for the QB and TD receiving for the one who scored.

It started out as a pass play with the initial pass and catch. The lateral is a continuation of that pass play.

I think this has come up before and the way Bud described it most people thought is the way it should be scored.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, but technically speaking, is texas even a part of the united states?

3. In the first game of the season, Ronnie Brown took a handoff and fumbled 4 yards behind the line of scrimage where Chris Chambers picked it up and ran 5 yards, and Brown got credited with 1 yard rushing.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Not if we can help it.

5. occasionally

occasionally Member

Here's the play -- Brown got credited with a 5-yard loss. NFL's a different animal because they have miscellaneous yardage and fumble return yardage on offense, unlike colleges.
    1-10-MIA 38 (9:56) R.Brown to MIA 33 for -5 yards (T.Polamalu). FUMBLES (T.Polamalu), recovered by MIA-C.Chambers at MIA 38.
    C.Chambers to MIA 43 for 5 yards.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm now more confused than I was when I first read this thread.

Is this the consensus for NCAA rules?
    -- Lateral receivee gets credit for rushing yardage from the spot of the lateral reception, but he does not get credit for a rush.

7. KP

KP Active Member

Receivee gets credit for receiving yards, but not a catch.

8. That's how the manual reads. That means you could have a final stat line for a player that shows no catches, but say 50 receiving yards and a score. That's just weird.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Thank God I've never seen a hook-and-lateral work for a TD in all of my 14 years of covering football.

So under A.R. 1, Allen could have "0-22" as his line in the rushing boxscore? So Allen's yards-per carry average would be INFINITY?

Yeesh.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It has to be like that otherwise, the boxscore wouldn't balance.

You'd have 20 completions for the QB, but when you'd add up the number of receptions, it'd be 21, which would be equally as weird.

Draft saved Draft deleted