1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football statistical puzzler of the day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doctor x, Aug 28, 2007.

1. doctor x

doctor x Member

For absolute lack of a competent punter, one of our high school coaches sends out the field goal/extra point team in obvious punting situations and lets the kicker boot it as far as he can inasmuch as the kick is treated like a punt -- returned or downed.

I treat these as punts in the stat box. Correct?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Huh? Doesn't the team on defense get the ball at the line of scrimmage on a missed field goal?

3. doctor x

doctor x Member

Apparently not. First time they did it last Friday, the ball was fielded at the 38-yard-line and returned near midfield, from which point the next series began. Second time, the kick was blocked. After that, they just went for it on fourth down, this being a preseason game.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not a punt, especially if he lined up with a holder.

What do the refs do? Do they signal missed field goal or allow someone to return the ball?

If you placekick it, it should count as a missed field goal and a dead ball. Opponent gets the ball at their own 20.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So why have punters? Your at your own 5-yard-line and instead of punting, you line up for a 102-yard field goal. It's short by 60 or so yards and the opponent gets the ball back at its 20.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That's not a punt. It's a missed field goal.

You have more of a story there than a team with a shitty punting unit. Find out the rules, talk with the state association's officiating director and go from there.

If they continue to use "field goal punts," find out how they're getting away with it. If it is a "wink wink" thing between the coaches and officials, "because, well, we don't, y'know, have a good punter," then an agreement to fudge the rules is significant.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That guy is my HERO!! I have been begging for YEARS for someone to do this. Why not?? A missed figgie in HS is treated like a punt. Even if his kicker ain't going to make it, say he tries a 45-yarder and can get it to the end zone. Touchback.

Beautiful.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What if he doesn't get it into the end zone?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Then what's the different, the punter sucks anyway!

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I didn't know about the 20-yard-line rule until last season.

Team A gets stopped at Team B's three-yard-line and decides to kick. When they missed I had no idea what was going on.

Personally, I think it's a stupid rule. You get it where the other team kicked (not punted) from.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They changed the rules in my state about five years ago so that a field goal was treated like a punt, a la Arena Football. If you attempted a field goal and it doesn't reach the end zone, it can be returned. If it reached the end zone, it was a touchback. One of the teams in my area did that last year, owing to a combination of a good placekicker and trouble with long snaps.

The first year they instituted the rule, one of my teams was on the road and holding a six-point lead when they attempted what would have been a 55-yard field goal. Kick didn't come close, rolling dead around the 7-yard line. One of his teammates jumped on the ball, because the other team didn't realize the rule had changed. So instead of getting the ball at the 38-yard line, other team got it at the 7, and lost. Other team coach acknowledged that he should have explained the rule better to his players.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Go talk to the coach and say, "Gol darnit, you're effing up my effing stats ... teach a gol darn kid how to punt. There's like 150,000 other schools that have no problem with this."

Draft saved Draft deleted