1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football stat question ....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Quarterback passes to receiver, who gains 17 yards before getting drilled and fumbling. O-Lineman covers the ball seven yards for an addition seven yards - lineman doesn't get credit for anything, right?

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Lineman gets a 7-yard "fumble recovery" (term for offensive recovery).

I believe the yardage is accounted for in return yards, but not 100% sure. I'll have to pull up my dog-eared stats manual, and it's too late to do so :).

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm pretty sure there is a "miscellaneous yards" category for just that situation.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Now, if the receiver would have lateralled ...

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Trust me, no lateral here. The kid was very slow to get up; a good example of why you need to run with your head up if you're an undersized WR.
    I just wanted to double-check I didn't have to give this kid any rushing yards or anything for recovering a ball that was advanced seven yards.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

NCAA rules would say to credit the recovery in the category of the play category.
    In other words, The guy who caught the initial pass gets credit for a catch and receiving yardage up to the point of fumble recovery, lineman who recovered it get receiving yards to the point of the play end, bit no reception.
    Oh yeah, and of course the team is credited with a fumble not lost.

Football, strange rules.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The offense was allowed to advance the fumble (I know, too late now)? I know that is probably a state-by-state rule, but I always think that when seeing the ball fumbled forward.

8. Joe's right. Credit the OL for 0 catch for 7 yards in the stats. Had it been a running play, 0 rushes for 7 yards.

The NFL has that rule about advancing a fumble in the final 2 minutes, not sure about NFHS rules.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

After looking it up, I think Joe and Lone Star's rule is right but result is wrong. You don't credit the OL for 7 yards unless he actually picked it up and ran 7 yards. If he fell on it 7 yards downfield from the spot of the fumble those 7 yards go to the fumbler.

Judge for yourself, but I think your scenario falls under the example in the stats manual given at Section 13, Article 1, A.R. 1 & 2

A.R. 1 Team A’s ball on Team B’s 30. Adams runs to the 25 and fumbles,
    and Brown recovers at the 24. Credit Adams with a rush of six yards. Charge
    Team A with a fumble lost.

A.R. 2. In the same situation as A.R. 1, Allen recovers the fumble at Team
    B’s 32. Charge Adams with a rush of minus two yards. Charge Team A with
    a fumble not lost.

Now, if the lineman picks it up and runs, it falls under Section 13, Article 2, A.R. 1

A.R. 1. Team A’s ball on Team B’s 20. Adams runs to the 15 and fumbles.
    Allen recovers the ball at the 15 and gains an additional 10 yards. Credit
    Adams with a rush of five yards. Credit Allen with no rush but with 10 yards
    under “Rushing.” Charge Team A with a fumble not lost.

A.R. 2. Team A’s ball on Team B’s 20. Adams runs to the 15 and fumbles.
    Allen recovers the ball at the 17 and runs to the 10. Credit Adams with a rush
    of three yards. Credit Allen with no rush but with seven yards under “Rushing.”
    Charge Team A with a fumble not lost.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/Stats_Manuals/Football/2009.pdf

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Yeah I didn't clarify for the above example. Wasn't completely sure in Rhoddy's question which is it.
    But yeah, like I said the initial receiver gets credit up to point of fumble recovery, lineman gets stats if he advances it. I shoulda been a bit more clear.

So like POO points out, if the lineman just fell on it 7 yards upfield then there's nothing for him to gain here but a FR. If he carried it 7 yards upfield, that's when you credit him with the yards.

And somebody at my office has snatched my NFHS stat manual. Which kinda sucks cuz it has football, volleyball and baseball/softball stuff. I generally use NCAA manuals anyway, but the little book is handy.

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Old joke on here, Rhody31.
    If you're ever up for a little fun, try this:
    1) Post a question on here about who gets what yardage and how it's reported in the agate on a hook-and-lateral.
    2) Watch hilarity ensue.
    3) Extra fun -- call it a hook-and-ladder.

Draft saved Draft deleted