1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football stat question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Sep 22, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If a quarterback is sacked on a 2-point conversion, are the sack and yards lost recorded in the box score? I figure since the two yards gained when it's successful aren't credited to the team's total offense, they shouldn't be penalized the yardage on a sack, but I also figure the defensive player would get credit for the sack, so I'm confused.

Also, how would I record this play in the score summary:
    Player A blocked a punt at the 21-yard line. It bounced all the way into the end zone, where Player B recovered for a touchdown. He didn't return the ball at all, just fell on it and since he didn't block the punt himself, I'm not sure how to score it.

Player A blocked punt 0 (kick failed), 9:06?

2. captzulu

captzulu Member

I don't think anything is counted on the 2-point conversion. If a QB is picked off on a 2-point throw, it's not an INT, just pass failed. So I'm thinking a sack and the loss of yards aren't counted, just run failed.

As for the blocked punt scoring, see how the NFL recorded Keith Bullock's blocked punt and recovery in the end zone in week 1.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

T -- Smith recovered blocked punt in end zone (pass failed)

And no yardage is gained or lost in a conversion attempt.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Taken from the NCAA's 2008 Football Statisticians' Manual:

From SECTION 7—BLOCKED PUNTS
    From SECTION 11—EXTRA POINTS

The bit about counting penalties committed on PATs appears to be relatively new. I remember an older version of the manual had something about only counting them if assessed on the kickoff.

You can download a pdf of the manual at:
    http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/2008%20Football%20Stats%20Manual0735b1a6-35ca-42fb-bbaa-fecadc30f9dd.pdf

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Doing it the way you see it on the NFL's site isn't a good example since they use their own style. Central Illinois fan had it the way I would do it.

The interesting thing in college football is putting the "defensive conversion" into a box score. I've seen one three times, two on blocked PAT's and one on an interception return on the two-point conversion. I recorded one of those like so:

D -- Smith 23 pass from Johnson (kick failed), 9:43.
    X -- Brown returned blocked extra point for defensive conversion, 9:43.

I don't know if it's right because I haven't seen any other examples. But it describes what happened, so I figure it works. Since the yards don't matter, I don't say "Brown 91 return of blocked extra point for defensive conversion."

EDIT: I just downloaded the NCAA manual from the link above and found that you DO indicate the yards returned in the scoring summary ("Do not credit Brown with an interception of 100 yards but indicate the yardage in the "Scoring Summary" and the play-by-play")

Draft saved Draft deleted