1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football scoring question help needed on deadline.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jim Tom Pinch, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Over react much, Joe? Jeez.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

when there's now at least four threads started on the same damn topic in about a months time, i'm not sure I'm reacting enough. And we see the same topic pop up year after year too.

People who claim to get paid to write, should learn to read.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Joe can you please tell me how many words are in an inch of text? Thanks.

4. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Wow. Yes, in a time of crisis in our industry, let's just eat our own. For God's sake, don't let this place be a resource for help and answers.

Maybe Jim Tom Pinch got back to the office or the press box and posted his question, knowing he could write around it for about 30 minutes and then check to see if anyone answered. If he had to search for himself to see if there were threads on this subject (and not everybody lives on this site, so he might not know every kind of thread that's been started in the past three weeks), that's time he could have spent writing or totaling up the other stats.

So, he asked for help, and someone was nice enough to provide it, freeing him up to spend his minutes wisely on deadline. Sometimes, asking someone if they know the answer is faster than finding the answer yourself, especially on deadline.

Pretty sad when we turn on our own, as if we've never had a tight deadline or forgotten a stat rule. Sad, and disturbingly so.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Did Joe say something? I got distracted by this side saddle pic.

:D

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, because the first thing I would think of when I'm on deadline is logging on here and seeing how long it takes someone to give me an answer. How does that free him up to use his minutes more wisely?

We have another active thread started Friday night on this same damn question on the j-topics board.
    We've had the same topic discussed at least twice in the last month.
    Maybe part of the reason the business is in crisis because we have a bunch of stupid, lazy young guys covering sports.

7. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

There are some people on this thread I wouldn't want to share a foxhole with or be on the same staff with, and not just because of their responses on this thread. There's some consistency of bitterness seeping over here from an overall body of work, that's for sure.

Don't know the answer? Fuck off. Look it up. Don't ask for help.

Jesus. It should be pretty obvious how coming here was a good move if the guy didn't know the answer/have a scoring rule book handy. It's not like he had to sit and wait for an answer with his hands tied. It's like leaving a message and waiting for a callback. Are you that fucking dense and bitter that you can't see that?

Plus, he got his answer within five minutes. What's the fucking problem? How in the fuck were any of you critics inconvenienced or bothered in any way other than having to adjust the stick that's up your asses?

Fuck.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Dear Terrence:
    As a high school editor, if one of my writers came back from a game on Friday night with deadline looming and the shit about to hit the fan and I saw him sign on to SportsJournalists.com to ask for help before he started writing his freaking story, I would beat his fucking brains in (figuratively, of course).
    Of course, that's because in our office he could ask me or about 5 other people about the proper way to score and compile stats on a hook-and-lateral play (and I'd also let him no it is NOT a hook-and-ladder, although if he didn't know that already he probably would not have been hired in the first place).

Now go fuck yourself, asshole.

9. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I think Terence is right on. Don't we have style discussions in the newsroom all the time? Isn't it part of the job? My staff and I constantly are asking each other the proper way to convey something. Seems to me as if this board is an extension of that dynamic.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Seems like a complete misuse of time and resources to come on SportsJournalists.com ON DEADLINE to ask a question that probably could have been answered by someone at the game or in the office.

And if no one else could help you, if SportsJournalists.com was your last resource, something's seriously wrong.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

someone explained it to you wrong then.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

How do we know he was five minutes from deadline? How do we know he was writing from his office and not a press box, where he didn't have anyone to ask?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.