1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football scorekeeping App

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

Any new football scorekeeping apps out there? Gamechanger and iScore are great for baseball but having trouble finding anything for football.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I don't use one...but the stat guy at one of our schools has for a couple years now. He can give me quick updates on the sideline at any point in the game and afterward it's quick and easy getting final stats from the guy, so I'm guessing it works well.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I wish this board had a "Like" button for things like this.

5. Simon

Simon Active Member

I agree.

6. I do, too.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I get disgusted when sportswriters don't know their way around a baseball scorebook.

Football's a little different. If somebody can get things done better with an app, more power to 'em. I'll still do PBP and stats in a reporter's notebook, but that's just me.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/espn-iscore-football-scorekeeper/id455813757?mt=8

There is an IScore football app that was just released last week. I tried it on my IPad the first Friday night of the season with a paper scorebook as a back-up. It definitely takes some time getting used to the nooks and crannies.

There are three to four steps for every play, unlike baseball which is quite intuitive.

I plan on scoring some college football games next weekend while I watch to get the process and speed of the plays down. If I can do it at the pace of a college game, I'm sure I can do it for a high school game.

Also, being a first release, it's a bit buggy. It will kick you out of the program once or twice a game and you have to start up the program. Basically the same issues us users all went through with IScore baseballl and basketball a few years ago when we started using them.

Still, I had a play by play PDF and stat sheet ready for me three seconds after the game ended, as if I were covering a Big Ten game with a full SID staff doing the lifting for me. Saved me a lot of time while writing my gamer that I was able to use for layout on deadline instead.

Just 10 bucks, too. Faster Than Monkeys has some fantastic products in the IScore brand. No shock that ESPN got on that bandwagon.

Apparently they're working on the ability to have multiple users keep stats simultaneously. If they can do that, this could offer quite an inexpensive alternative to StatCrew for high schools. IF you can can one guy keeping offensive stats and another keeping defensive stats on two different Ipads simultaneously have them sync to one stat sheet, that would be great for a high school looking to shave expenses from its ledger.

I've had fellow writers make fun of me for using the products. I often respond that it's not how you keep the stat. It's how you use it when you write the story. Statkeepers are no replacement for taking good mental notes and even scribbling notes on a pad of paper. Or in my case, scribbling it on the notepad of an Ipad. But using a pencil doesn't make you a better reporter. Getting a stat that highlights a trend or something amazing in a game does. And the reader doesn't care how you procure that stat.

You might feel like more of a man because you put your roof shingles on with a hammer and your neighbor used a nail gun. But the important thing is...does your roof leak?

9. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

I guess that app isn't available on droid phones?

And I use an app (6-4-3 scoring) to keep score of baseball games and it works great. I hold no shame over using it. Should I?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My writing is hard enough to read. My keyboarding on a phone is dismal.

I could see trying to keep stats on a laptop or iPad, but I'd be afraid to try it on a smartphone.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

got the name of it tonight...it's from statware (they have a website)...local stat guy punches numbers into his I-Pad or whatever gadget he's holding (maybe it was a blackberry?). He says he plugs in the numbers and the website sorts it all and can fire off emails of the stats to whoever needs it.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There. Happy?

Draft saved Draft deleted