1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football has become the most popular sport worldwide with a billion viewers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rondembo, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It sounds as if the Initiatives Futures Sports and Entertainment report used post-event surveys. I'm skeptical of their methods.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Because the originial post on this thread is about THIS YEAR'S Super Bowl.

So JR's "facts" comment was ridiculous because your "facts" have nothing to do with this thread......

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

They haven't played this year's Champion's League final.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see that.

But doesn't change the fact that the numbers cited in the original article are bogus.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Using comparable data from last season since this season's is not yet available has everything to do with this thread.

If you really think the Super Bowl is going to do a bigger number worldwide that the Champions League final this May, especially with the game being on Saturday night in Europe for the first time, I don't know what to say.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So last year's Super Bowl attracted 98 million U.S. viewers and about 106 million worldwide, which leaves 8 million international viewers. This year's Super Bowl attracted 106 million U.S. viewers and let's see ... 894 million international viewers, if the 'billion' figure is to be believed.

Now, I happen to find a 111-fold increase in international viewership to be just a little bit unrealistic. So let's say it was more like, I dunno, 10 million international viewers. A total of 116 million.

That would in fact leave the Super Bowl this year ahead of last year's European Champions League final. Of course, the original premise of the thread was that the Super Bowl was more popular than the World Cup. So just a teensy, weensy bit of shifting the goalposts there.

I'm gonna guess that a World Cup final including, say, Brazil will draw just a few more Brazilian viewers than the European Champions League final. Just a few.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Probably depends if Kaka's playing or not.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Are we ripping on Drip again?

9. rondembo

rondembo New Member

Zag is absolutely right, the Super Bowl is way more watched than soccer world cup and football is way more popular as a spectator sport worldwide. Soccer is only more popular as a participatory sport, because its cheaper, not because its better. People worldwide, from England to Brazil to Mexico to Nigeria to China would rather watch the Super Bowl than soccer world cup. I bet if you went to even places where soccer is popular like Europe they'd tell you that the Super Bowl has more interest because as an event its far bigger and has so many auxillary things like commercials, parties...etc. People all over the world host Super Bowl parties and celebrate the Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints, not third world countries playing soccer in a tournament that nobody even cares for. Soccer is like the Olympics, its only watchable once every 4 years and then quickly disappears, while the SUper Bowl is the most watched sport event every year. Most people couldn't name you more than 1 soccer player or team, but Peyton Manning is known around the world.

The Super Bowl has been proven to be the biggest sports event in the world, only soccerheads come in and act all bitchy because their little unpopular sport will never reach football's stratospheric importance and ratings.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're beyond stupid with this stuff, sockpuppet.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No. They. Don't.

I live in Europe, troll. I don't know of a single person who hosted a Super Bowl party. The Super Bowl started at 11:30 at night.

I can't believe I'm actually arguing this. This couldn't be more obvious trolling if you were under a bridge.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

(Whether you think this type of threadjack is a classic or better left to history is a matter of taste)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.