1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football conference preview help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsnut, Apr 16, 2010.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

So, I am getting an early start on getting ready to do a conference preview for High School football and just wanted to get a few recommendations in regards to questions I should ask the coach and what should be in my conference preview?

I thought about the following

Changes on defense
    Changes on offense
    Changes on the starting lineup
    Who are still there from last season
    Who left and what will this do to your game plan?
    Who is your most outstanding player?

Also, one of the coaches is brand new and I thought maybe ask him what he has planned for the team and what will he do different then previous leadership.

We also have one team joining our conference and I am thinking of discussing with that coach what will his game plan change now that he has new teams to worry about. I am not sure, if I am missing anything?

Any help will be appreciated

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Those are good starts, but how can you even really work on something like that right now?

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Because spring football practice is right around the corner. ::)

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can't really tell who is going to start based on high school spring practice.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Baseball, softball, track, in addition to other possibilities like soccer, golf and tennis, and you have time to think about something 4-5 months away?

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'm not even going to think about preparing for football until August 1.

7. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Must be nice - the first of our TWO football previews is published August 1.

8. apeman33

Ugh. Well, Kansas is really, really restrictive about its seasons. Football practice can't start until the Monday two weeks before the opener. So there's no reason to worry about it until then. Plus, I'm at a tiny daily that has only four high schools in its coverage area.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You can in my neck of the woods. Spring practice runs three weeks here, and if you don't have your starters pretty much penciled in when you finish, you're playing catch-up. Most of the better teams here play a lot of 7-on-7 tournaments at various camps throughout the summer, and that requires that you know who your top guys are.

10. apeman33

What is this "spring practice" you speak of? </kansas>

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

What is this "spring" you speak of? </new york>

12. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Seems like you're worrying a bit early...roll around some ideas and give it more thought in July/August...check out other previews coming out around that time and that can help frame some thoughts.

Draft saved Draft deleted