1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football coach killed moving a goalpost

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.comcast.net/sports/index.jsp?cat=SPORTS&fn=/2006/07/21/439542.html&cvqh=itn_coachkilled

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Um, where?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wow.

One high school football coach I covered back in the day was only inches away from a goalpost, not installed properly, that fell as he was walking away. That close to having a leg badly broken and probably only a couple feet from a fatal skull fracture.

And that doesn't include a classmate that was killed by a soccer goalpost that fell on him as he was taking the net down my sophomore year of high school.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

There have been a number of soccer goal deaths in recent years, and just as many subsequent lawsuits.

Teach your kids not to climb on any goal.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I believe it was in Girard, Kan.

Really sad story. For those who don't want to link, the goal post he was moving grazed a power line and electrocuted him to death. A teenager helping was severely burned, though I think he'll be OK.

I have in-laws in SE Kansas, and the whole area is stunned.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yes it was in Girard. While I never met the guy -- closest I ever came was the preseason info sheet that he and every other coach in the state sent back to me -- it's sad, nevertheless.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

What a shocking story. I'm glad, though, that it went out over the wire so we could read it while it's still current.

Sorry. :-\ RIP, coach.

8. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Goal posts are a terribly dangerous item to take down.

Had a football game many years ago end with the posts coming down. Two hours after the game, the police came and were hunting in the grass around the one with flashlights for something. Found out later that a girl got here finger caught at the point where it broke and she lost two fingers. The cops were looking for them.

9. boots

boots New Member

That's just wrong double j

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's a sad story. The link wasn't working for me yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted