1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football agate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Never had to do it, but I would think fumble return would be appropriate, since it is technically a fumble.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

But it's not from scrimmage, so how can you count it if you don't count yardage gained on conversions in the regular stats?

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Here's how we do it:
    Field goal
    KC — Creole 42 field goal, 3:30

Safety
    KC — Safety (John Jackson tackle Ron Smith in end zone), 1:10
    or
    KC — Safety (Tom Blake fumble out of end zone), 4:19
    or
    KC — Safety (Perry Johnson kick ball out of end zone), 5:39
    or
    KC — Safety (Bill Taylor holding in end zone), 7:33

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

A blocked kick isn't a fumble. It would be listed as '85 blocked field goal return,' so it would be the same for a blocked extra point.

I think I've seen it listed as simply: K - Defensive two-point conversion, probably because actually describing the play would be excessively long (K - 85 return of intercepted two-point pass?). And if you look a line above, you'll see what kind of conversion was attempted, because you'll have 'pass failed,' 'run failed' or 'kick blocked' in parentheses.

F_B, you may have a point about the yardage, but anyone who knows the rules is going to know that yardage didn't count in the totals. Anyone who doesn't know the rules isn't going to go into that level of detail, I wouldn't think.

For safeties, I always included a description of the play, even if it was a 'team safety.' 'Ball snapped out of end zone' or 'Jones intentional grounding in end zone' works just fine. And of course, I always hoped for opportunities to put a 2 in the box score. :D

And doggies, we're not in a perfect world, but that doesn't mean we stop trying to be perfect. And we have the discussions now so that we know what to do when the situation arises.

5. spud

spud Member

I don't know what the problem would be with:

F - Smith 1 run (kick blocked), 5:20
    K - Johnson 85 return, 5:20

6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

If the reader wasn't paying too much attention, they might think Johnson returned the kickoff 85 yards for a touchdown. I would make read like this:
    F - Smith 1 run (kick blocked), 5:20
    K - Johnson 85 blocked PAT return, 5:20

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the thing. Field goals and safeties are marked up front in the agate, so if you see

ASS -- Johnson 70 fumble return

then you'd assume it was a touchdown. Defensive two-point conversion? AP isn't helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted