1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fool me once, shame on you ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Calvin Hobbes, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The question is: How did Klosterman ever get a room at the Plaza for $270 a night? Must have been a twin-bed single on the airshaft.

2. MM,
    I feel the same way when I read something posted by Bubbler.

3. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Yo Calvin, this is what I do. I stand in the mirror and try to tell myself the truth (you know, the same thing all my friends have been telling me for a year now) and then after I assure myself that I know better and will stop being such a dumbass, I promptly take the next phone call when I should just walk away.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's damn hard to walk away once you give you heart -- and it sounds like you did. It's also damn hard to focus on you when you've expended a lot of time and energy on someone else. That said, that's what what you (and I) have to do. Focus on yourself. Make those friends take you out and do fun things. It takes time. This I know. I've been getting sucked back into something crazy for a long, long time now. One of these days I'll find my way out again, and I know something good is waiting on the other side.

Hope it is for you too! Good luck! Oh...and I simply adore Calvin & Hobbes. Great call there.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Tattoos are are a terribly strong draw . . . sigh.

What 21 said, about not responding to her e-mails or calls, is right on. You know, whether you want to admit it or not, that this woman is not right for you. You might love her dearly, but she's unhealthy for you because she can't make up her damn mind. You need to stay as far away from her as possible for a while, so that you can move on and clear your mind from all the crap that's gone on.

Course I'm not the best person to be giving relationship advice.

5. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Thanks for all the good advice. I wish now I hadn't resisted coming here with my problem when I first thought of doing so. I appreciate everyone's help.

It's strange, but reading all the replies, I realized how myopic I was. When something like this (or anything emotional or physical, really) you tend to think you're the only one it has ever happened to. Believe me, I take no joy in the knowledge that some of you have been where I am, but seeing how you dealt with it and got through can only help.

I am sure I was looking for just one person to give me the answer I wanted. Whomever said that was right. Nobody enabled me, so you're all much wiser than I am.

I do love this woman. I did five years ago, and I'm sure on some level I did in the interim between then and when we got back together. Maybe there is a little of the "I have to save her" thing happening here, too. I didn't buy for a minute the BS about me being too short and her all of a sudden being uncomfortable about that. The other stuff was BS, too. Something about the way I drive. It was like being dumped by a female Jerry Seinfeld, for God's sake!

Anyway, thanks for helping me get a better handle on things. I'm not sure I've ever met any of you guys, but you're true friends.

So this is what I find when I get home tonight and fire up the PC:

http://movies.aol.com/movie-photo-ffx/valentines-day-romantic-speeches-when-harry-met-sally-say-anything

I'm starting to think it's vast conspiracy!

Oh, I forgot to mention this. Several months ago, she gave me a key to her house. When we last spoke, I asked if she wanted it back. She said, "Eventually." And then added, "I still have your watch." That was three weeks or a month ago. Neither one of us has pursued it further. Not sure it means anything. Just in the interest of full disclosure and all.

What say you?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I say that bitch is whacked, and you can do better.

7. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

I never really liked tattoos ... until I met her. I still really don't care for them on anyone else, but I suppose since I learned to appreciate hers, I could do the same for someone else down the road.

You're right about the other stuff. Can't make up her mind. I really thought she had turned the corner on that.

8. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Sounds like you've been there. I did give my heart ... both times. That's why I feel silly, and yet, I am oddly at peace with what I've done. It's hard to explain. In any event, I'll have to find someone else to see The Police with me.

Good luck in your own situation. It is tough. As soon as you're done looking in the mirror and convincing yourself your friends are right, something happens (a phone call or a memory or whatever) and you're back at square one. At least, that's how it goes for me.

As for the handle, thank you. If Bill Watterson ever decides to return to the comics pages, C & H is the one strip that would get me to pick them up again. I kind of wish I'd picked this handle for my original one, instead of ... whoops! That would've been embarrassing.

9. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

That's pretty much verbatim what I was told not more than three days ago. Are you sure you're not a Minnesota Vikings fan, beer snob and financial planner?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, but can't you say that about almost any woman?

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Dude, even if you live in Dicklick, Iowa, God ain't gonna stop makin' pussy anytime soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted