1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food/restaurant rant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I assume buttered popcorn vodka exists.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Russia House in DC has butterscotch vodka. Among many, many other kinds.

The blackberry vodka is delightful.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a Carrabba's. Chains serve a purpose. I love Bob Evans.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with that part. But it's not because I taste ripe prunes and toasted cumin. I taste bourbon (or scotch or rye, etc.).

It's so strange. No one eats a steak and says, "It was a tremendous steak. I could detect bananas."

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It's no Cracker Barrel! I've eaten twice at BE but was not impressed. Probably just (bad) luck of the draw.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I can't get biscuits and gravy (my guilty breakfast pleasure) anywhere in NYC, but I always know I can get them in a Bob Evans.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, when I'm in the mood once every five years for a good chicken fried steak, Bob Evans fits the bill.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My daughter is in business school in France in its wine management and marketing program, and she can lay that stuff on with a trowel for professional purposes. But when recommending a wine to her parents, she just says, try this, it tastes good.
    I can tell you the wine I had in my life that tasted the best, a Chablis at a restaurant in Joigny, France over 20 years ago. But I couldn't begin to tell you WHY it tasted best.
    As for single malts, I have a simpler formula. Just pick the one whose name is hardest to pronounce and spell correctly and you can't go wrong.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This.
    It's like they're trying to determine if I'm a vice cop.

10. TigerVols

11. TigerVols

My knowledge of brown water was limited to a pallet that could tell the difference between Jack Daniel's and Jack's Single Barrel. And then I watched THIS DOCUMENTARY about Islay's whisky and have since bought a few bottles, the glasses, and have developed an ability to judge the difference.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Islays are pretty distinctive, though.

TowelWaver and YankeeFan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted