1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Follow Up! High School Sports Writer looking for Feedback/Helpful Criticism

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Anthony Y, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Anthony Y

Anthony Y New Member

Hello everyone, hope all is well.

A couple months ago I came on the site looking for some advice, and I’m back for some more.

This time around I have a lot more experience, and a special announcement.

Before I was writing for my school paper, covering the sports beat. While I’m still writing for them, I created my own sports blog.

I created 305sports.net ( 305Sports - Providing In-Depth Analysis And Coverage Of Miami Sports. )to provide in-depth coverage and analysis on sports in Miami. We cover the Miami Heat, Miami Dolphins, Miami Marlins, Miami Hurricanes FB & BB, and Miami-Dade County high school sports.

Check it out: 305Sports - Providing In-Depth Analysis And Coverage Of Miami Sports.

I’ve been able to gain a lot of experience, not just writing. My social media’s are growing, and I’m meeting new people.

I’m currently looking looking to become a reporter for the Miami Hurricanes. I’ll let you all know a follow up on that within the next couple weeks. I’m also trying to find some freelance jobs.

Take a look at my work: Anthony Yero, Author at 305Sports

Also, if any of you have owned a sports blog, what did you to grow?

I have a lot to learn and I’m glad I have started so early.

My brother has also joined me in our path to become professional sports journalists.

I’m only 16 years old and have so much to learn. Hopefully you guys can give me some more feedback like the last time so I can continue to improve.

Thank you

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's certainly a nice start. You can open some eyes with that.

I'm not crazy about the font for your headlines. Use something like Arial Narrow Black, and you'll get more words in less space, and it will stand out better.

3. Anthony Y

Anthony Y New Member

I’ll note that. Thank you

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Hi, Anthony.

I really like that you’re publishing a lot and doing several types of stories (game recaps, high school roundups, analysis). That steady regimen will serve you well.

Make sure to write the most important thing first in a non-feature article. For example, the story on the new wide receivers coach didn’t mention him until the sixth paragraph and didn’t mention wide receivers until the third paragraph.

You took all our feedback into account and applied it. It shows. That’s a useful skill to have in this business.

Have you thought about applying for media credentials at the Miami spring game? You might get a “no,” but you can always try again next year. The university might give you some guidance on how to meet its criteria if they turn you down. Plus, if writing “for” the UM athletic program is your goal, being in touch with them is never a bad thing.

I have no experience with growing a blog readership, but I wish you good luck!

5. Anthony Y

Anthony Y New Member

Thanks for the response jlee. That specific article wasn’t written by me. My friend William Hernandez wrote that one and I noticed as I was editing it. However, I didn’t want to fix it so he could see how his writing continues to improve over time. But I let him know.

I have applied for a media credential for the Miami spring game. I submitted my resume the other day and I’m awaiting a response.

Thank you for the feedback

jlee likes this.
  6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing what the future holds for you.

7. Anthony Y

Anthony Y New Member

Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted