1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FOIA for coaches ballots?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, May 28, 2009.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Cute.
    Gutless editors and publishers at their best.

2. The downside of FOIA's... If the paper won't back you, you are SOL.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

To my paper's credit, we pursued legal action on another FOIA issue. So I wouldn't call them gutless by any stretch. But in this particular case, I guess the nugget of information wasn't worth the hassle.

I somewhat agreed, though I was pissed that the athletic department called our bluff and surely had a cheese-dick smile afterward.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The national FOIA doesn't apply to state governments or government entities at all. If he tries to use the national FOIA, he won't get anywhere.

State public records acts or open records acts or FOIAs might get better results. Might. I still think even the most receptive states would compel him to show why revealing the secret votes of coaches in a college football poll are in the public interest.

5. U.Fester

U.Fester New Member

Ban the coaches poll.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not in Florida. Here you don't have to have a reason, other than wanting to see a specific public document — and nearly every document generated by a public employee (like a college football coach) is a public document. Obvious exceptions: medical records, student records. A poll ballot wouldn't qualify.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The NCAA and the BCS have nothing to do with the coaches' ballot. The American Football Coaches Association is the organization that should be sued on FOI.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, the FOIA should be used for important things, not bullshit like football polls.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I tend to agree with you on this.
    Doesn't mean I don't like the fact that the coaches are keeping this private just so they can avoid a potential headache.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Or in the case of state schools, the school itself (it's a state agency).

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

spnited made his point better the second time. The logical extension of his first post is who cares about sports, period? Why cover it at all?

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The national level FOIA wouldn't apply. Unless a state calls its open records law the Freedom of Information Act, it would have to be an Open Records Act or Public Information Act, depending on what the state calls it.

Draft saved Draft deleted