1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FML - Rockbottom version = UPDATE (RB 1, Dryer 0!)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Have me an 8-year-old GE Profile dryer. Started squeaking like crazy over the weekend, so I took the top off to see if I could get some grease down in there. Upon looking, I saw what appeared to be dryer lint sticking out. So I grab the pliers and pull -- only to pull out a three-foot-long piece of felt that is supposed to stay around the drum.

FML.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Re: FML - Rockbottom version

I figured you were going to pull out a possum or something. But this is probably just as financially unfortunate.

3. Rockbottom

Hahahaha. Idiot me even shined a flashlight down there to inspect it, and thought FER SURE it was lint.

Yes. Now my options include: A) Trying to fix it myself; B) Paying the $90 service call + whatever to get it fixed; C) Buy a new/used dryer.

And I have all this grease now ...

rb

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Why would you need pliers to pull out dryer lint?

And I'm looking for used w/d right now. Sucks.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

the best part is that you can get a new dryer pretty cheap.
    as long as it isn't a name brand and you don't care if it doesn't match the washer.
    When I bought mine it was around $150.

6. Re: FML - Rockbottom version

DO NOT TRY to fix it yourself.
    Do. NOT.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, RB, you can spend $150-200 to get an 8-year-old dryer fixed (until something else breaks down) or spend that much to get a new one, like Jay says.

8. Rockbottom

Your query is a sound one. I saw what looked awfully like lint (and this thing is FILLED with lint ...) that I couldn't quite reach. Hence the pliers.

Off to the appliance repair place to get schooled on how to fix it. It is 50-50 as to whether I end up buying a scratch-and-dent dryer after all this.

RB

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

If the drum is squeaking, it's probably gonna give out all together before too much longer.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I haven't been able to find one listed online at any store for less than $449. I'd LOVE to know where you're shopping.

11. Rockbottom

Similar one to ours is $398 at Lowe's. I am hoping for s-d to make it cheaper.

RB

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Can get decent electric dryers at Home Deppot or Best Buy, to name two, for $250...maybe less if on sale

Draft saved Draft deleted