1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flying? Checking two bags? Not so fast, my friend...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah it is. But the big beef down here is that people don't want to give up their land for a highway that doesn't really benefit the people who live here. It's designed to move goods from the border to the rest of the country, not get people too and from work.

For example, the tollroad would run through the county I live in and there would be a grand total of three on-ramps. One at each end of the county and one in the middle. I'm not real crazy about that and I don't even have land that could be taken from me to build it.

Plus, there's this little rider in the contract with the company that will build and run the tollway, Cintas-Zachary, that basically prohibits the state from doing major upgrades to other highways in the state until the company retires the debt on the tollway. Essentially it's a non-compete clause.

2. Armchair_QB

But why would you want to go to New York? You live in the Centre of the Universe.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Centre of the Universe, not Center of the Universe. :)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Drive, when you can take the bus??
    Are you crazy?

5. Armchair_QB

I had it right the first time. :D

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC took the bus back a couple of years ago.

I believe there were only two psychos on board.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The Trans-Texas Corridor is what is causing a big stink in West Texas, correct? I recall the last time I was down in Alpine and the Big Bend region, the people there were unhappy about the idea of bigger highways destroying their towns and the beauty of the area.

As far as high-speed trains, most major cities have problems convincing their people they need to build them, so I can't see there being any sort of national network.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know.

"RE" = Toronto

"ER" = NYC

9. Armchair_QB

It's not running through the Big Bend area. It's supposed to run out of Laredo parallel and to the east of I-35

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You have a choice.

If you want your flight to be the enjoyable, relaxing and interesting way it used to be when flying was a luxury . . . fly first class.

You want that $99 trip to Vegas, baby? Then be prepared to board a flying bus with no frills, little room and many hassles.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I wonder when Wal-Mart's gonna start an airline.

Seats will be extra.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I always check bags. My back is the better for it.
    And I hate all of you people coming on stuffing your luggage and delaying the departure of the plane. Just sayin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted