1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florio Lectures Rodgers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BadgerBeer, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Welll it kind of is in that some people (mainly fans) reflexively slurp any QB (for that matter, any jock) who happens to be playing decently, but it isn't because there really isn't much evidence of any kind that Rodgers did anything besides maybe be mildly rude, while there's plenty of evidence Vick (especially) and Roethlisberger did plenty wrong.

Notice also Florio doesn't bring up a certain dithering drama queen when he's casting about for QBs behaving badly.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Would that drama queen be a Bus Cook client?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Welllllllll, I don't knowwwww ... could it beee.....????

[​IMG]

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's been clear for a long time that Florio swings from Dungy's nutsac, and Dungy has been critical of Cutler in the past.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/46829627.html

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Florio says sorry:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/18/an-apology-to-aaron-rodgers-packers-fans-and-jan-cavanaugh/

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Tony Dungy, master of performing under pressure.

Well, if Cuter pulls off a victory Sunday, I think the move "to beat one team" will look pretty genius.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Every time I think I can't get along with you, you write something like that and COMPLETELY REDEEM YOURSELF!!!!

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He got a zillion hits for the original leap and he'll get a zillion hits for the apology. Cha-ching.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And I made a rare check of Deadspin just to confirm that those dicks have no interest in owning up to their part in getting everyone frothing at the mouth over nothing. I was not disappointed in my quest. The closest they come is "Aaron Rodgers Already Signed Stuff For Cancer Lady, So Can We Drop This Story?"

Yeah, the voice of conscience tells everyone else to drop it. I guess Florio isn't the responsibility-shirking scumbag that Deadspin bloggers are, so he has that going for him.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I guess I just don't get the "autograph" thing. My son is 8. He's into it. Fine.

But grown ups? Really? Especially if this day of Twitter and Facebook fan pages. Isn't that enough access? Although, having covered the Packers for years, I can understand the connection (obsession?) of some in the state with the individual players.

I'm no NFL quarterback. I don't have .001% of the recognition factor of Aaron Rodgers but I do sympathize with him on this. He knew this when he signed up for it. Just as I do in my line of work, as a TV news TelePrompTer jockey. #1 station. Some weeks, I feel like I'm on TV more than stinkin' Regis. I do the news, the statewide political debates, yadda yadda. Lots of visibility. I knew this when I signed up for it and feel blessed I've been doing this for 15+ years and haven't gotten fired...yet.

In just about every store I walk into, people say hello and that's fine - I enjoy meeting people, even when I'm in a hurry at the grocery store. 97% are gracious and respectful -- I even welcome people who have criticism of my work, provided they are respectful, especially when I'm with my kids.

Yet, in some of the places, I'll run into people who just want to pester me about really minute issues in the community or their own conspiracies on why a city swimming pool closes earlier in the bad part of town vs. in the suburbs. They are the equivalent of the aggressive autograph seeker for an NFL quarterback. You tell yourself "just keep moving and keep your head down" as you hold the hands of your kids, realizing this person won't respect your privacy, especially if you are not working at the time.

Rodgers was, clearly, in a hurry to get to the plane. That's what you do in an airport, even Austin Straubel. In Green Bay, the autograph hounds are, like, 24/7. I've always believed this is why Green Bay also has to pay a premium for top-shelf free-agents.

"Ain't no privacy in Green Bay."

Places like New York, Chicago or Miami do a nice job with "handling their famous people".

In Green Bay, it's freakin' tough if you want to fly "under the radar". Every trip to Target. Every meal out. Autograph hounds, snappin' their cell phones with their Sharpies out. It's endless in Green Bay.

While Florio did apologize for his inane observations at first on Rodgers, if the autograph seekers actually heard what the people signing their gear said or thought about them (behind closed doors, of course), they'd be embarrassed to be waving their Sharpies and begging.

I would have respected Rodgers even more (and I think he really is the 'superstar' that people seem to demand, on and off the field) if the cameras would have caught him mumbling, "Lady, haven't I signed enough crap for you by now?".

Maybe next time.

At least, in the NFL, I also disagree with the notion that the players have to be nice and mingle with the fans who "pay their salary". That's not true in the NFL. The TV networks and the main sponsors of the commercial breaks (cell phones, beer, etc.) pay NFL salaries. Not the fans. That is who the players SHOULD be nice to.

Any affection is a bonus for the people willing to spend $250 to sit in -17 temps in late December when the experience is FAR superior at home on TV, where you can watch 10+ games on a Sunday, eat tastier food, avoid the DUI fest that is the post-game scramble and not sit through endless TV timeouts.

Not that I'm judging the NFL ticket-buying public or anything... :) </suckers>

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If they were there to root the team on and wish them luck it would have looked a lot more sincere if they left their Sharpies at home.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I'm no autograph-seeker, but playing devil's advocate:

When I was 12 or 13, I got a baseball signed by Lou Piniella for Christmas. I was floored, and it still sits prominently on my bookshelf more than a decade later.

I never met Lou. My dad got the chance, and he took it, swallowing his pride to get something for his son.

This doesn't apply to all or even a majority of autograph-seekers, methinks, but there are thousands of dads, uncles, grandparents and family friends who aren't thinking of themselves when they ask for an autograph.

Draft saved Draft deleted