1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florio Lectures Rodgers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BadgerBeer, Jan 18, 2011.

1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is being discussed elsewhere but Florio/PFT really took Aaron Rodgers to task a couple days ago for "dissing a cancer patient" asking for an autograph at the GB airport.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/16/aaron-rodgers-has-a-lot-to-learn-about-where-his-money-comes-from/

He based this on 3 sec video and made no attempt to put it in any context. It turns out that this lady is at the airport every week and Rodgers actually signed a jersey for her after the Philly game and in the past has signed numerous items for her. The lady came out yesterday and expressed her anger at Florio's story and said she had no issue with Rodgers. What was Florio's response? He is still right and Rodgers is still a pud.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/17/last-word-on-the-aaron-rodgers-jan-cavanaugh-video/

I am far from a Packer apologist and Rodgers may very well be a jerk(his rep however is as a very good kid that does a ton of stuff behind the scenes and asks that it stays quiet). My question is about Florio...I would think that a "journalist" would perhaps do a bit of research before destroying a player's rep in this way and I also would assume after the entire story came out the "journalist" would admit a mistake and give us a "my bad". Gregg Doyel did just this...http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14567073/twosecond-video-clip-doesnt-at-all-capture-rodgers
    Now that Florio is hooked up with NBC should he not be held to a certain standard? Am I overreacting or is Florio being the douche here.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

If I'm Rodgers, I tell NBC to pound sand next year when they want to speak with him in production meetings and postgame interviews as long as Florio is still on their payroll.

And Doyel nailed it out of the park ... that should've been the follow up Florio wrote.

A prominent Packers blog also had a very interesting take as well as to why Florio may have written the slam piece to begin with: http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/mike-florio-attacks-aaron-rodgers

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I am very very sorry the woman has cancer, but my tolerance of autograph seekers of any health status -- sick, healthy or anywhere in between -- has just about hit the very bitter end.

Anything an athlete/celebrity says to an autograph seeker short of a full-throttle scream of "fuck off" and a right cross to the jaw is just fine with me.

Grow up and get a fucking life.

Ohhh, and the blog link background on Florio and Bus Cook is verrrrry verrrry interesting. Everyone's favorite dick-waving drama-queeening Hall of Famer-to-be rears his ugly head once again.

"Ohhhhh myyy gawwd Tiffanieee, everybody thinks that other gurrrrl Aarynne is so much prettier than meee!!!!! All my old friends in Green Bay, like Oh Mah Gawwwd. I just hate herrr sooo much!!! Somebody told me she was super mean to some bald chick!!!! I'm gonna tell my BFFF Bussie to texxxxt alll my grrrls on my cellie and tell them alll what a BIIIIITCH she is!!!!! "

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

That is my first thought as well. While I have enjoyed much of what PFT has done over the years I would think that NBC would expect more from Florio now that he is one of them.

EDIT: Attributed the quote

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What an idiotic "controversy".

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Florio is forgetting where he came from -- calling national writers Pastabelli, comparing a Jacksonville quarterback to Fat Albert and compiling a weekly turd watch. If he sticks to aggregating other people's work he'll be fine.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Rogers didn't even see her.
    Think about it for a second - had he seen her, he would have obviously seen the TV cameras and I'm guessing he's bright enough to ignore a cancer patient in full view of cameras. I'm guessing he was trying to get out of the airport, was listening to whatever on his ear buds and saw a body out of the corner of his eye and just kept walking.
    Whatever happened to getting the other side of a story? Florio is a joke for writing what he did without talking to Rogers.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's a pretty damning accusation that Florio took money from agents to puff up their clients. Has anybody said that other than that Packers blog?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like Florio and love his site.

He completely missed the boat on this one.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I love his site also, but not for him. The peanut gallery in the comments section has become the star of that site.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Of all the traits good and bad that Florio displays on his site, his inability to admit when he's wrong is the strongest and most consistent.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The comments are hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted