1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Times-Union votes to unionize

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jun 19, 2018.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

45,000 circulation and 40ish newsroom employees left. Uggh.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That might be the weakest market penetration number I've ever seen for any major league market. Then again, this may be further proof that Jacksonville, which isn't any higher on the Nielsen chart than it was when the NFL curiously awarded it an expansion franchise, doesn't belong anywhere near discussion of major markets.

4. tapintoamerica

Considering Forbes ranks Jacksonville among the 10 most conservative cities in America, I suspect the few employees who are left will be whacked by Friday for the sin of trying to unionize.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That would be a violation of federal law.

6. tapintoamerica

Yeah. I know. Still won't be surprised if the instigators of the movement wind up on the hit list when the next round of executions comes up.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Didn’t happen in Sarasota and Lakeland when they formed a guild last year.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When was the last time that law was enforced in a timely fashion during any administration, much less a Republican one. The employer denies that the termination was related to union activities and then drags the case out for years.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I worked there in the 80s and 90s .... The circulation drop is probably more than half of what it was back then. A lot of good people made stops there, and some made it their final stop.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Good to them for unionizing.

It’s probably too little, too late.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia Jacksonville has a metropolitan population of 1,504,000 and circulation of 45,000. Austin has a metro population of 2,112,000 and a daily circulation of 59,000. And Denver has a population of 2,800,000 and a circulation less than 100,000. If you figure 2.8 people per household Jacksonville, Austin and Denver all have penetration rates of less than 10%. Which is another way of saying the world is going to hell in a hand basket.

Draft saved Draft deleted