1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Times-Union colunmnist

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by OrangeGrad, Aug 30, 2006.

1. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

From jj.com

The Florida Times-Union is searching for a columnist to be the voice of our sports section. The ideal candidate for this high-profile position will be an excellent writer who can tell stories, comment on local, national and controversial sports issues and back their opinions with solid reporting skills.
    Other requirements: To provide insight our readers can't get elsewhere; work accurately under deadline pressure; perform well in a multi-media environment; communicate effectively with editors and other staff writers; and to comment on a wide range of issues, ranging from preps to pros. Our lede sports will write three columns a week, four during the college and NFL season. Column writing experience is an obvious plus. Applicants must have at least five years experience at a daily newspaper. College degree preferred. Is there a column you always wanted to write, but haven't? Send it along, in addition to a resume and five samples of your best work. Qualified applicants may apply with your resume in MS Word format “not HTML” via email to: tujobs@jacksonville.com

Please include in the subject line: FL-TU and reference the position you are applying for.

You may, also, fax your resume to 904 359-4076 or mail to: The Florida Times-Union Attn: Human Resources One Riverside Ave Jacksonville, FL 32202

Thank you for understanding that due to the large volume of resumes received it is not possible to acknowledge receipt of each resume.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

"College degree preferred." Preferably you should have one if you say you have one.

3. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Who left?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mike Freeman.
    To CBS Sportsline.

5. I'm curious, what does a gig like this pay?

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Depends on if you have the sheepskin.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

If you don't have a diploma, you're a shitty writer.

8. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

It's entirely possible that was a joke...In fact, it probably was.

But just in case: Mike Freeman, the extremely talented writer who had this job, had previously lost another job because his resume didn't match his transcript. Which is why DyePack brought it up in the first place. And though as far as I know he still doesn't have a diploma, he's still a much better columnist than any anonymous hater.

Just sayin'.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

A joke it was.

Sincerely,
    Anonymous Hater

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Guessing here, but I think this job would pay between $60K and $70K...

Just guessing...

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Guessing here, but I think this thread will not end well.

12. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Very well done.

Jacksonville sucks, it's the worst place on Earth, I'd rather be in fucking Zamibia. [/mizzougrad96/boots]

Draft saved Draft deleted