1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida State war chant question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Sep 5, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I'm not sure what board to put this on but...

I'm doing a preview story where team A is working out listening to the opposing team's fight song for inspiration.
    The song sounds exactly like FSU's war chant.

How would I write this out?

Oh and the journalism part. Is this stupid?

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Regarding the journalism part: It's good color. Leave it in.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The Tomahawk Chop. And it's not just a Free Shoes U thing, it also was co-opted by the Braves in the early '90s.

4. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I mean, I was thinking of writing: "Ohhhh oh uh uh ohhhhh, ohhhhh oh uh oh ohhhh," in the story.

Is that dumb? And how should I write out the chant?

5. I wouldn't write it out. I'd just say it is the same as Florida State's Tomahawk Chop and leave it at that. I think most people reading the sports section will know what it is.

6. I would write that as team B is on their minds, the beating of the drums blares in the background. Team B's war chant goes on, feeding their desire for Friday night's meeting.

I guess something like that, from what it sounds like you observed. When in doubt, just write it. There's more than one way to write something, so if in doubt, find the simplest way. As someone who's school used that war chant, the beating of the drums was what got me going more than the "Uhhhh oooohhh" stuff.

7. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

This is a rough draft...but a bad idea?

Inside the (Shittown High practice area, weight room), the sound of metal hitting metal is a welcomed break. Anything to drown out that song.
    Clank. Ohhhh, oh uh-oh-ohhhh. Clank. Ohhhh, oh uh-oh-ohhhh.
    “I’m ready to shut it up,” says (Shittown player) as the door opens behind him and the song blares through. It’s familiar. Florida State University fans call it the War Chant. To the Atlanta Braves it’s the Tomahawk Chop.
    The song belongs to (Poopville) Indians and it has been playing over and over since (Shittown's) last game. When the (Mascots) walk into the building for practice, when they lift weights, when they get dressed — they hear it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You gonna run a photo of Cowgirl to accompany your article?

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Because you should. She shoulud accompany every article.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Hey, I'm covering Poopville this weekend!

11. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

They stink.

Draft saved Draft deleted