1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Sports Topics Manager, Orlando Sentinel/South Florida Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

This is my former job. My last day is Friday. I'm posting this for my boss, Mark Russell. If you have questions, PM me.

The Orlando Sentinel is seeking a Florida Sports Topic Manager, the editor who will manage the sports staffs in Fort Lauderdale and Orlando for all digital platforms and print.

--Our next Florida Sports Topics Manager will demonstrate a proven track record of leadership in digital and print journalism in a large media organization. Our sports editor must be strong in talent acquisition and development, budgetary supervision, developing efficiencies, strategic planning and change, competitive analysis, digital strategy, story development, front-end editing and public speaking. This newsroom leader must be skilled working across department and newsroom lines and with multiple supervisors and possess a strong understanding of newsgathering, production, digital, marketing, advertising, technology and product development.

--Responsible for Sports editorial strategy for print and digital for Orlando Sentinel and South Florida Sun Sentinel and their websites, OrlandoSentinel.com and SunSentinel.com.

--Combined coverage area includes three NFL teams, two NBA teams, two NHL teams, two MLB teams, seven NCAA FBS athletic programs, more than 200 high schools, three major NASCAR events, several PGA golf tournaments and more.

--Direct reports include six assistant sports editors and two online community managers; indirect reports include a combined staff of more than 50 reporters, interns and regular freelance writers.

-- Coordinate all job searches and recruit, develop and retain top talent.

--Manage budgets.

--Develop strategies for efficient content sharing and maximum impact of and deployment of resources.

--Develop content that is engaging, informative and enterprising and conveys the news in rich, interactive ways.

--Compete in the marketplace on the web, on smart-phone, tablet or via social media.

The next Sports Topic Manager will have a proven record of innovative online news leadership; a strong background in news reporting and editing; an understanding of the technical issues of Web publishing; and the ability to set clear, challenging goals and hold others responsible. This editor will also inspire journalists across the newsroom in achieving those goals. If you are interested in this position, please send a resume, cover letter and samples of work you have led to: Mark Russell, Editor of the Orlando Sentinel, at marussell@orlandosentinel.com.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Goes without saying that, even though it is a two-paper deal, that this is a BIG-BOY JOB.

rb

3. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Hey Lynn Hoppes, here is your safety net!

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Amazingly little discussion on this thread. Now O-Sentinel (and Fort Lauderdale) needs a sports editor and a colleges editor a month away from football season.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Two papers that have been gutted. And you have to be two places at once. And here comes football. Oh, and you get to work for Tribune Company. Big-boy headaches.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Colleges editor, too? Missed that one.

7. rascalface

rascalface Member

Todd Adams is leaving Orlando for UT-San Diego.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Thanks, rascalface.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not being a smartass, but where do you live? Do you get a choice?

Should you just split the difference and live in Fort Pierce? (OK, that's being a smartass.)

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And you get two large executive salaries, right? Sweet.

11. SportsPrincess

SportsPrincess New Member

I kind of want to apply for this one, but afraid that I'm not qualified enough, even though I have all the requirements. :-/

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, you won't get it if you don't apply.

Draft saved Draft deleted