1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Primaries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 21, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, what evidence is there that a state governor, U.S. president's Cabinet member, and former corporate CEO could give his son a leg up?

YF, sorry, but you're reaching on this one.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ask Dan Quayle, one of the classic modern cases.

Talk about the top of the ticket taking out life insurance, for free.

And McCain was no less guilty. Imagine that racist, social yahoo in McCain's #2 hole getting kissed into the Oval Office.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm sure Mitt's dad could have set him up with a job, but is their any evidence he got his original job at Boston Consulting Group because of who his dad was?

Seems to me he was hired because he graduated at the top of his class from Harvard Law/Business.

Bill Bain didn't bring Mitt from BCG to his new firm because of who his dad was. And, he certainly didn't pick him to found Bain Capital because of who his daddy was.

Sure, he never had to worry about paying for his education. OK, I'll concede that point.

But, you don't have to be rich to go to Harvard. You need to be smart and work hard.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm so looking forward to watching SJGOP.com scramble in support of Gingrich after he wins Florida.

Mitt's done. And if he's not, Newt will make sure to scorch the earth on his way out.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I still think Mitt's going to get it, but the scorched-earth reference is apt, and if Newt somehow gets it, you're looking at a 56-44 popular vote projection . . . and I'm bending over backward for the beady-eyed little munchkin, on that one.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

And the environment in which he grew up had nothing to do with him getting to that point?

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Nah. It was a Christmas Miracle.

8. LongTimeListener

From watching the debate, I didn't know which one I'd vote for if I had to choose, but both of them did me the favor of giving a laundry list of very valid reasons neither of them should ever be considered for dogcatcher, much less president.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

An environment that included two loving parents who emphasized education and hard work? I'm sure it did.

What parents are unable to provide that?

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You can continue to be obtuse, but most people are capable of understanding that Mitt was set up to succeed from the time he was born in ways that the vast majority of people are not.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For what it's worth - probably not much to most here - David Brooks recently raised the contrarian point that we should actually praise Mitt Romney for putting himself through the hell of a Harvard double-degree program, years of long hours in various business jobs, etc., etc., when he could have just leaned back and collected dad's money doing something a lot easier.

12. LongTimeListener

Put it this way: At the time both scions began their careers, there was greater advantage to being George Romney's son than there was to being George H.W. Bush's son.

Draft saved Draft deleted