1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida high schools cutting games to save money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 27, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I hope these aren't pay to play sports.

Hey I just became a full-member! ;D ;D

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The cost to start up a high school on a weekend starts at $300 and should be about $100 per hour.

Those are the break-even costs.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

High schools not renting fields out to club football teams has nothing to do with wear and tear and everything to do with the fact that - when it comes to football - school districts take an extremely dim view of anybody infringing on their hold on their one remaining revenue sport.

If someone tried to start a "club" football league for high school kids down here there is no way in hell any school district would let them use their facilities.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That may be true, but there are more than enough facilities in our area, at least, which house everything up to under-14 youth programs.

Pretty sure they wouldn't have any qualms allowing the use of their facilities. Middle schools an elementary schools, which I know currently house clubs teams in sports like soccer and lacrosse, probably wouldn't have an issue with it either.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You watch -- if those club teams pay enough in rent, the school will fall over itself to offer its field. Money talks, blah blah blah.

Draft saved Draft deleted