1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florence Griffith-Joyner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 11, 2007.

?

Do you think she was a clean athlete?

Poll closed Jan 19, 2008.
  1. Yes. Her .49 second improvement in the 100 at 28 years old was a clean athletic miracle

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. No. She was dirty as a dog

27 vote(s)
    96.4%
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Maybe 'cause she's dead and all, but Flo-Jo doesn't get mentioned much. She still holds the WR in the 100m and 200m.

What do you think?

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Didn't her hubby get nailed for steroids?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I know Sir Mix-A-Lot prefers his women like Flo-Jo, not these knock-kneed bimbos lookin' like hoes.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Her husband was Al Joyner, Jackie's brother. No steroid story there that I can recall.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think she was taking something.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Also, Poin, I see what your poll question is getting at, but where was the record broken? And was the wind just below limits, etc.
    I only ask this because of Bob Beamon in 1968 in the long jump. He didn't break the record, he destroyed it by a couple of feet, and the judges had to get out a ruler because their tapes didn't go that long. No one ever accused him of being dirty.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Thanks, I couldn't remember.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

She took .67 seconds off the 200 meter time. At a different meet (Seoul). At 28. After being in semi-retirement. Came into the 1988 season with a new body. After never showing any interest in being a workout maven.

Never had a top 40 all time mark in the 100 pre-1988. Never had a top 20 time in the 200 pre-1988.

.67 second improvement in the 200 meters. Git along....

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Altitude

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yes, but then explain the others in the long jump field at those Olympics not coming close to him.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think she's dead, too.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

FloJo broke the records at the 1988 Olympic Trials in Indianapolis, which I remember because I was there covering them in college . In fact, I remember Phil Hersh of the Chicago Tribune yelling in the press box that someone needed to measure the track because it must be too short. Obviously, we were not all hip to steroids at that point. Anyway, altitude wasn't a factor, and wind wouldn't have been a factor, or else it wouldn't have counted as a record.

FloJo's other big crime would be those hideous unis she designed for the Pacers circa late 80s/early 90s. To her credit, though, at least she didn't make Rik Smits wear one-legged shorts.

Draft saved Draft deleted