1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flooding in Boulder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Sep 12, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's official. The game has been postponed.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Was about to post this:
    http://www.gobulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091313aac.html

3. MileHigh

It's the correct and smart call.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

As a CSU alum and supporter, I'm sort of hoping they make the same call, although I don't think they will. But that might just be so I don't have to suffer through more bad football!

Seriously, though, I do think it's a responsible thing to do, even if it's to just not use more resources. The weather has brightened in Fort Collins, but the river is still well above flood stage and the roads are still closed. They even just opened up a shelter in north Fort Collins specifically for people who have been cut off from services.

5. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Here's a YouTube video of flooding in Longmont.

To put this into perspective, the St. Vrain River takes a slight diagonal path through the city and the intersections you see are not close to the river, but a couple of the streets cross it, so I imagine the water flooded the parts it crossed and kept on going down the streets.

They aren't joking that the city has been cut in half. Almost every major north-south route in Longmont crosses the St. Vrain River.

I'll need to pull up some of the photos of what happened to the roads that go into the mountains. It's amazing what a massive flow of water can do to pavement.

6. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Here's one example of road damage from the floods -- this is Highway 72. (Note: This is a Colorado Department of Transportation photo.)

[​IMG]

7. Morris816

Morris816 Member

One more link: This Denver Post story has a photo of Highway 7 where it crossed the St. Vrain River.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_24086889/roads-remain-closed-ne-colorado-by-floods-washouts

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, if the police officers and EMTs, etc., aren't needed in Fort Collins, there are plenty of places where they are needed.

9. MileHigh

Yeah, that's some wild stuff. And going through Longmont on Wednesday night, it was quickly building up, but that is taking it to another level.

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Got the Fresno State news release and here's the lede:

"FRESNO, Calif. - Fresno State and the University of Colorado have made the decision to postpone Saturday's football game that was set to be played in Boulder, Colo. at 11 a.m. PT. The game was canceled at roughly 1 p.m. PT on Friday."

Not to hijack the thread for this, but is the game postponed or canceled? Two different things. Read further and you find that it is, for now, just postponed. But poor word choice here using "canceled" as interchangeable with "postpoined."

Hope everybody is safe.

11. MileHigh

It's postponed. ADs will meet to figure out a date to reschedule

CU is off Sept. 21 and Oct. 19.
    Fresno State is off Oct. 12 and Nov. 16.

Boulder police provides 60-70 officers per game, so yeah, easy decision.

On a worse note ... the death toll is up to four after the body of a woman who was washed away was found.

http://bit.ly/14MsZNf

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Major flooding now east through Greeley -- just hit this afternoon. Larimer County Sheriff reports that the Big Thompson Canyon is decimated and 17 miles of Highway 34 (Loveland to Estes Park) virtually washed out. Only way out of Estes is over Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park, which is at least a three hour drive to Denver. Reported that 80 people unaccounted for in Boulder. Just amazing the scope of this.

Draft saved Draft deleted