1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flip flopper! McCain announces Troop Withdrawal Timeline

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by andyouare?, May 15, 2008.

1. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Say anthing, do anything to get elected.

From the Washington Post:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/05/15/mccain_outlines_troop_withdraw.html?hpid=topnews

Sen. John McCain will pledge this morning that the Iraq war can be won and most American troops can come home by 2013 if he is elected president, a position that closely resembles those of his potential Democratic rivals.

. . .McCain until now has resisted offering a timeline for withdrawal of U.S. troops, saying that to do so would be tantamount to giving terrorists a timeline for defeat.

During the Florida primary, McCain blasted former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney for what he said was support of a withdrawal timeline. Democrats, meanwhile, pilloried McCain for saying American troops could remain in Iraq for up to 100 years -- a reference McCain later likened to the presence of U.S. bases in Germany or South Korea.

Just last month, McCain said that "To promise a withdrawal of our forces from Iraq, regardless of the calamitous consequences to the Iraqi people, our most vital interests, and the future of the Middle
    East, is the height of irresponsibility. It is a failure of leadership.''

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

WFW.

Laughably-timed.

DOA.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Maybe he just wants to be able to play golf.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Who will call him on it?

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It is well established that the man is a fraud.

This should surprise no one.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Flippety, floppety

7. Looks like their internal polling, or whatever, told them what everyone already knew: the Iraq War and McCain's unending support for it would be a 20-ton anchor come November.

So what to do? Simple. Completely reverse yourself. Pastor said it best, the man's a FRAUD!.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Fixed

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

While I applaud the notion, I'm not sure I trust McCain enough to actually live up to that promise.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It seems like you are all suggesting that it would be better to leave the troops there

11. Yeah, that's exactly what we're saying.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yes Boom. That seems to be exactly what we're suggesting. ::)

In other news, since I hate tomatoes, I must therefore hate farmers.

Draft saved Draft deleted