1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flint's other (frozen) water controversy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Feb 18, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I lost all interest in Flint hockey when they didn't name their team the Stones.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's what they named the curling team.

old_tony likes this.
  4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

It's a complete gong-show there, with a billionaire owner buying the team for one purpose - a place for his 17-year old kid to play (and he's not good enough for the Ontario Hockey League, frankly). Papa wants him playing in all situations, coaches trying to compete and win don't do that. Unbelievable circumstances that pollute lower levels of junior hockey (rich daddy buying team so his kid, who would get cut from any normal franchise at that level, can not only play but get undeserved ice time). But to see this at such a level of idiocy at the major junior level (top development/feeder leagues for the NHL) is nearly unprecedented.

The kicker is the now-suspended hockey ops/coach has a 16-year old who isn't quite talented enough for the OHL either. Guess where he will be playing if the league doesn't step in and pull the Flint franchise permanently?

spikechiquet likes this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My man Fly said it better than I could, a complete shit show that makes the Don Cherry-led Mississauga Ice Dogs look like a model franchise. Fly, to me there is now ay they can go back there next season. Parents and agents will want nothing to do with that place even if there is a total overhaul. Makes the Plymouth days seem like a long time ago. As Huggy Jr. said the other day, "Why is it all I ever knew about Plymouth was they were good every year and had what you said was the best on-site restaurant in the OHL?"

And by the by, Sudbury is a dumpster fire too - another franchise where the owner forced his kid on the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted