1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flint Michigan, the next Hinkley, California?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Best Practices" as recommended by The Heritage Foundation and ALEC.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Show me the link, Ace, in which it's asserted that Flint was warned before it switched that this could happen. I've seen nothing of the sort.

3. doctorquant

Wonder why, even back in the mid-aughts, that the Heritage Foundation/ALEC puppet responsible for Flint's water supply was so hell-bent on getting off the Detroit water system. And why that cluster of Ayn Randians also known as the city and county council(s) hopped right on board that train.

old_tony likes this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. doctorquant

I have it in my head he was fucking with us a bit on that. If so, well-played, Ace.

But even if corroborated elsewhere, it doesn't suggest anyone -- other than Starman and cranberry, of course -- warned Flint that this would happen.

Ace likes this.
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Flint water mystery: How was decision made?

Walling said the decision to use the Flint River as an interim source was ultimately made by then-Flint emergency manager Edward Kurtz in about June 2013 when he expanded an existing engineering contract for the Flint Water Treatment Plant to cover needed upgrades.

This was after discussions all the way up to the state treasurer and governor's office.

8. Starman

Well, maybe back in the mid-aughts, the council and water company officials in Flint probably had some delusion if they got off the Detroit water system, funding could be gotten to establish a viable water sytem of their own, or they could hook up to another one (Saginaw/Bay City has a well-regarded system that feeds out of Lake Huron) with capacity to supply its needs. However the teabags have been in control of the state legislature for many years and cities making improvements in public utilities and infrastructure is the last thing that bunch wants to see happen.

9. Starman

It's not really so much that anybody warned them, it was the active level of "who-gives-a-fuck-it's-only-neegros-and-nonrich-people" which followed.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Again, that was Oct. 7. I'm pretty sure the governor disagreed and wanted to instead hand out cheesecloth and charcoal to people who voiced concern and agreed to sign a waiver.

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Since the EPA knew, then it goes all the way to the top.

12. doctorquant

[​IMG]

I'd like to propose an alternate narrative, if I may, and I'd like for you to draw on your considerable expertise and intelligence in addressing it. It goes like this:

There once was a big city with basketcase finances. Bad as these finances were, they would have been worse but for inter alia some relatively attractive deals (from the big city's perspective) to provide water to other smaller cities in the immediate region. Over the years, these smaller cities tired of paying premium prices for their water and decided to form their own water system. When they finally pulled the trigger, in a fit of pique our big city notified them they'd be shut off prior to that new system's completion. And our smaller cities, one in particular, said "In your eye puddin' pie" and set up a band-aid interim source. This interim approach turned out to be the mother of all cluster-fucks, of course, which led to lots and lots of little piggies running around squealing "Not my fault! Look over there! It's that one's fault!" When, in fact, it's pretty much a garden-variety instance of ... what's the phrase? ... "democratic processes."

That about sum it up?

Draft saved Draft deleted