1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flin Flon, Manitoba

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Plus it is a much better league than the MJHL.

2. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Players in the WJHL didn't want to travel to Flin Flon because it was a guaranteed loss. Bobby Clarke and Reggie Leach together for 4 years

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

According to Wiki:

That's quite a range. Is there anywhere else on Earth where the temperatures can fluctuate 154 degrees during the course of a year?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn, that means spring and fall must be -3ºC (26ºF).

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No, in Canada it is Hamilton. (Hi JR!)

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I knew a guy who worked in the mines in Thompson. Made Flin Flon look like The Big Apple

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Thompson, Manitoba is where Ford has a cold weather testing facility. It is also a hub for air service to many reserves so there are all kinds of pilots lurking around waiting for work.

Flin Flon might have been a good entry on the "places to get your ass kicked" thread. Lots of undereducated people making money in the mines who like to blow off a little steam by punching each other in the face. I would bet that the number of snow macheens and big 4x4 is as high per capita as anywhere on earth.

Tremendous hunting and fishing if you're into that kind of thing.

I am eagerly awaiting Bubs to start a thread on The Pas next.

8. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Hi. This is Canucklehead's wife. I grew up in Flin Flon, and just to clarify, I am not a prostitute.
    OK. The town of Flin Flon was named after Flintabatty Flonatin, a book character from a popular dimestore novel from the early prospecting days. Apparently, the prospectors who staked out the area had all read the same book, called The Sunless City. The book was about a prospector who discovers an entire city of gold hidden deep under the rocks. So, being that prospectors were all into finding gold . . . well you get the connection. When they discovered a massive ore deposit they decided to name the place Flin Flon.
    And it's been the butt of jokes ever since.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So how good are you at hockey?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Too bad they didn't have a baseball team. We could make that the SJ outing in 2015. Aren't we booked up until then?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2025, unless Moddy retires first

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Astutely played.

And other than JR, I still don't have any help on restaurants and nightlife.

Draft saved Draft deleted