1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flim fam biff bam, H1N1 by damn!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Sep 10, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Found this but Fox News just reported Snead and others have the H1N1....

Does the NCAA invoke the Hurricane rule here and postpone games?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g7mUbJSvkMNlQMeUrII_EIhJX2gAD9AJDS2O0

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Re: Riff ram biff bam H1N1 by damn!

Why should the games get postponed?

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

But what if Sneed gets it? Could we be infected?

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Considering H1N1 is very contagious but nowhere near as dangerous as people originally feared (unless you have an underlying medical condition), they should treat athletes who get it like they would any other athletes with a different variety of flu - tell them to stay home but go about the rest of team activities as normal.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The article in the link didn't say it was H1N1, just "flu-like symptoms." You can maybe connect the dots but it's not certain its swine flu.
    Either way, Ole Miss has a bye this week and plays Division I-AA Southeastern Louisiana next week. They should be fine for now, football-wise.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Regular flu's not running around yet, Batman. It doesn't hit until later in the year.

Mandate from the feds is: If you have a flu right now, go ahead and assume it's H1N1.

7. KG

KG Active Member

I never went to the doctor, but I think that H1N1 may be what I've had. I've had flu-like symptoms for about a week, but it never got so bad that I couldn't function, so I never bothered with going to the doctor.

8. Crash

Crash Active Member

I have it right now. It blows. Doc told me exactly what OTR said. She also gave me a prescription but said that the only people who really need the drugs are people who have other medical conditions. She said the human body, after the initial shock, shouldn't have much trouble fending off H1N1 unless it's busy fighting other stuff too.

They shouldn't cancel any games for what I've had. It's been five days. The first four sucked, and today it feels like I have a simple head cold. I'm sure by tomorrow I'll be fine, if only a little weak because I haven't eaten much in the last four days. It's not serious enough to cancel football games.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's "flim flam, bim bam."

If you're gonna poke fun, get it right.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

"Who the hell are WE ..." :eek:

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, if half your team has it and the other team is worried about half ITS team getting it, not to mention all those flu germs floating around among 60,000 people, there might be some concern there.
    Plus, say this thing lingers at Ole Miss for a couple weeks. Would you rather postpone a meaningless game against Southeastern Louisiana or be at half strength for a conference game against South Carolina?

And OTR, I hadn't heard that about assuming it's H1N1. I stand corrected.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Ain't no sweat, man.

My mom's a nurse. We talked about it tonight some more. She said Tamiflu works on H1N1 same as it does the other flu -- get it in you early in the sickness, and it'll have an effect. Day 3 or later, and you might as well keep your money and suffer for a day or 3 more, because the Tamiflu won't do dick.

Draft saved Draft deleted