1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five years (heck, tons of marriages don't last that long)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Apr 30, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

• I keep coming back because
      • There are a hell of a lot of good people, many of whom that have become friends.
      • In the same vein, there are a lot of intelligent posters, who have offered criticism, praise and advice.
      • Seemingly everyday there's a story that's posted on the board that makes me think and become a better writer.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's been several years for me since I discovered this site, but I've only been posting for the last 8-9 months or so.

Had lots of laughs, and can't believe how addicting this board can be.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So they get the Internets in Malta?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My motto, thanks to this board: SJ, I couldn't get dressed without it.

Never thought I'd be able to wear those brown pants until I started a thread.

I might have to buy some new shoes to celebrate.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Did you really give up Birks for Crocs?
    Wear socks with the Crocs, too?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep. King Curtis told me about this site. Right before he fed raw fish to Kamala.

7. dooley_womack1

i'm sure you know this, but Scicluna was the actual real last name of the baron. Was either from Canada or Pennsylvania.

And a board truism I have found in my time here: No matter how much you may despise someone on the board, there will always be a thread where you'll end up sharing common ground.

Another one: Today's hot thread is tomorrow's fodder for chazp.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No, I did NOT give up Birks. Cripes.
    I wear Crocs, too, without socks.

You know they make socks specifically for Birks, right? Haven't seen CrocSocks yet but I'm sure they are coming.

Here's another thing: Some serious assholes/pains in my ass are on this board. So are three of my favorite current writers and probably more. It's quite a mix and I love (almost) all of it.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Fixed. :D

10. dooley_womack1

Moddy, you say pain in the ass like it's a bad thing. :D

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, I've got exactly five years, three months as of today. Wouldn't have guessed that long.

I'm out of the daily newspaper biz but kind of figure this is the next best thing, though admittedly without the heartache and agony many of the ink wretches here are going through. Sure, it's fun to be a fly on the wall for some of the job searches and gossip, though as someone who once worked with a colleague who got ripped to shreds in the old version of SportsJournalists.com, I'm glad things are (mostly) civil here.

What amazes me after five-plus years is how few people I really know around here. I might be able to put a real name with a fake posting name on only a half-dozen folks. Not sure that's ever gonna change dramatically, the odds of the wife letting me/us go on a SportsJournalists.com trip are about zero (she just doesn't get it!), and I don't have a good message-board memory to know that so-and-so partially outed himself four years ago so he must be XXX. So in the meantime I still mostly lurk among the many regulars, still not knowing who the fuck you are. But I enjoy you all :)

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I started posting on the sports pages board in late 1999... I played a fairly significant role in the thread that made Rich Johnson pull the plug on his message board... It was the "Who is the best looking journalist?" and Johnson completely flipped out.

After almost six years officially on this board, we are truly blessed to have Webby and Moddy and all of the Moddy sidekicks...

Draft saved Draft deleted