1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five women shot in store in Illinois

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Feb 2, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

As brutal as what Simon typed reads, he's got a point. As a society, we care far more about pretty people than we do about those who aren't considered such (and SportsJournalists.com reflects society). Most women who shop at Lane Bryant don't fit the traditional societal standard of beauty. I wouldn't have personally phrased it that way, but the point remains.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That was the point I was making.

As rare as this seems to be... gulp... Thanks, sportschick, for understanding.

3. sportschick

Once in a while, we're on the same page, you know :D

4. Simon_Cowbell

I just circled this date on my calendar!

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

6. sportschick

:D

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Oh, bullshit all the way around.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

In what way?

9. markvid

markvid Guest

WBBM streaming coverage on their site all day, as was WMAQ. It's on CNN, FNC, MSNBC, etc, etc, but because no thread gets started HERE for a while, it's because America cares less about fat people.
    The arrogance of this place on occasion astounds me.

10. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I don't think the looks of the people have anything to do with it. Five people being killed in a mall shooting is newsworthy regardless, and Simon's remark was tactless and insensitive. I suppose the anonymity on the board makes it OK to say things like that, but if my mother were one of these victims, I don't think I would find your retort so significant or witty.

11. Simon_Cowbell

If my mother was one of the victims, I wouldn't feel a scintilla different than what I articulated above.

I'm so sick of this country's media's one-dimensionality and preoccupation with the "pretty white girls" when it comes to stories of various female disappearance and/or demise.

The sheer numbers give this story legs, but the point stands. On sturdy legs.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I agree with this point. If Natalee Holloway had been 250 pounds, she wouldn't be a household name. If the pregnant Marine had been black or Hispanic, her picture wouldn't have been splashed all over the news for the last two weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted