1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five more soldiers died today ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I heard one radio talk show host say that compared to D-Day in World War II, the number of deaths isn't that bad.
    As long as somebody else or somebody else's children are dying, it's easy to support a war, I guess.

2. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

I heard in history class that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor to coax the USA into WWII.

When did Saddam attack the USA? Colin Powell and Condi said Saddam was in a box militarily in 2001.

The question never asked is, why was W so eager to bomb Iraq before the UN inspectors had finished their search?

Anyone seen WMD in Iraq? anyone? Bueller?

Cue W looking under his desk for WMD?

What is W's exit strategy for Iraq?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

WMD rumored to be in boise.

we will bomb at sunset.

4. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Lamar,
    W's exit strategy is to stay the course until after the next election. That would give him two options on his legacy.
    First: He can blame the next guy (or, most likely, gal) for ending the war prematurely, if indeed they do so, because no one can prove that it was or wasn't premature. Thus, he is right, to a degree.
    Second: If they (whether Republican or Democrat) don't end the conflict, he can then say, "See! It was the right thing to do. Even the new President and Congress agree with my policy."
    Either way, he wins. It is the only, remote it may be, hope he has. But it can only work if the war goes on until he is out of office. If it ends before he leaves, there will be no damage control possible for his place in history.

Also! Football_Bat, Hilary or Obama may or may not be trustworthy. The thing is, we don't know until they are given the chance to either prove us or themselves wrong. With W we already know he is wrong. So, the question becomes, do we sit on our thumbs and keep someone who is guaranteed to be wrong because he already is? Or do we at least make the effort to try someone, anyone else, who may prove US wrong?
    I must go with the latter. Any choice is better than what we have now. We gave him his chance. Now let us give someone else theirs. If we blow it, we will have another chance to make changes four years later. I know that's a long time, but its the system we have to work with. And four years of anyone else is better than eight more years of the likes of another W.
    I realize this is akin to the choice offered to Gary Gilmore, the gallows or the firing squad. It was a Hell of a choice, but they were his only options. Our only options are (probably) more of the same under the Republicans, or (possibly) a new direction under the Democrats. It's a Hell of a choice, but those are our only options, as well.

5. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Don't look now but the goal posts have been pushed back again, that makes 242 times since Mission Accomplished.

We were told not to judge Petreus' surge until it had time to be implemented. Now, with 30,000 more troops, Snow tells us that the looming Sept. report will just be an assessment.

Rallen13, you are correct Sir. W is utilizing Dean Smith's four-corners offense to run out the clock. Unfortunately, war is not a game. We were told on May 1, 2004 that major military actions were over in Iraq.

Was he lying then or now?
    Were Condi and Powell lying in Feb. 2001 when they said Saddam was kept in his box during the 1990s or in the invasion's run-up?
    Was Dick lying about the last throes or reconstituted nuclear programs?
    Are Rudy/McCain/Thompson lying from one or both sides of their mouths when they say we fail in Iraq and the terrorists follow us here in one breath then say we are under attack by mentioning the NJ arrests? - seems to me they're still plotting to attack us here even while we're there.

Got scare tactics?

Who do you trust?

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Plenty of people not only care about this, but are redassed over it. They just aren't in power to do anything.

It takes only one senator to begin a filibuster against any bill. And then it takes only 41 votes to uphold that filibuster and prevent any proposed law from coming to the floor.

One courageous senator. Forty in support.

They would have to be something other than inept, derelict cowards for a day to get something right.

Draft saved Draft deleted