1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five favorite war movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 11, 2012.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Tough to make a list of top 5, but one which would definitely be in mine which I have not seen listed here yet is The Big Red One.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

1. Patton
    2. The Great Escape
    3. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
    4. Kelly's Heroes
    5. Stalag 17

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

La Grande Illusion
    Battle of Algiers
    Wings (first ever Academy Award Best Picture)
    Paths of Glory (Kubrick, Kirk Douglas)

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Saw a piece about that on CBS Sunday Morning the day of the Oscars. The actors apparently did their own flying, which is an incredible risk when you think about it.

5. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Longest Day
    Tora, Tora, Tora
    MacArthur
    Saving Private Ryan
    Patton

HM: The Deer Hunter; Band of Brothers series; The Pacific series; Catch-22; Apocalypse Now Redux; Run Silent, Run Deep; 30 Seconds Over Tokyo; The Naked And The Dead; A Bridge Too Far; Midway; Dirty Dozen; Hogan's Heroes (still need to see Clint's Iwo Jima films)

And I'll just throw out three you've probably never heard of but are damn fine:
    Five Graves to Cairo
    Dieppe
    A Foreign Field (a '93 episode of TV series Screen One)

And where do we put Dr. Strangelove?

6. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

How has this thread gone this far and The Green Berets no have been mentioned?!?

Apocalypse Now
    Platoon
    The Great Escape
    Full Metal Jacket
    Glory

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Anyone else ever watch "Final Countdown"? As a child, whenever I briefly tried of watching F-14s blow up random Commies in Top Gun, I'd switch up and watch F-14s blow up random Japanese in Final Countdown.

It has no business on this list, but it reminded me. I watched Top Gun so many times on the crappy dubbed-over tape my mom got for me, to this day it's weird when I watch a DVD and the sound doesn't go wonky in the same places. I used to get grounded specifically from watching Top Gun.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I agree, but they're the kind of movies people need to see at least once.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Because liberals despise The Green Beret.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And because it's a terrible, terrible movie. Quoting Michael Herr from Dispatches, "'The Green Berets' wasn't about Vietnam, it was about Santa Monica."

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Greatest movie mistake ever: the sun setting in the east over the South China Sea at the end of The Green Berets.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Does "Star Wars" count? No? OK ...

1. Full Metal Jacket (if for no other reason than Lee Ermey ad-libbed almost everything)
    2. Saving Private Ryan
    3. Platoon
    4. Apocalypse Now
    5. Stripes

Draft saved Draft deleted