1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fitch Ratings: 'Several cities' could have no daily paper as soon as 2010

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 4, 2008.

1. DCguy

DCguy Member

Here's a question to throw out to the seasoned vets: Are there any papers that can survive this downturn and continue business without making major cuts in the future? Or is every paper doomed?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Other than Sam Zell you mean.

3. I agree, we might be headed to online-only journalism, but that doesn't mean journalism as a career is doomed. It'll just be different.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

What they said.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I have no problem dedicating myself to, and encouraging young people to pursue, careers in journalism.

It's finding the jobs that can support you that is the hard part.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is true, no doubt about it. It'll be all freelance on the Internet sites with a few web producers and maybe a copy editor or two, probably no copy editors like the sites at Rivals.com. If you think you can make a career in "journalism" as a part timer, OK. But journalism is done as a career.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who needs copy editors! We have spelcheck?

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The journalism schools have to be considering closing. Nobody needs to be trained to be a part timer. The newspaper websites and their couple of leftover editors will do the teaching.

9. VJ

VJ Member

Journalism isn't done as a career — it's done as a career to just anyone with a journalism degree. Having a degree is no longer a ticket to employment.

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

It should have never been.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What I meant by my original statement is that you can likely kiss things like benefits, retirement, etc., goodbye, at least as things stand now. These are the things that created long-term journalists with institutional memory, a deep well of sources, etc.

Journalism as a career will exist -- probably in the model that independent papers exist. No benefits, low, low pay. If it's internet-only, as most of us think it will eventually be, that's the way it's going to be, because the revenues don't support any other financial model right now.

It will morph into a young person's game with little hope of it moving on from that financial station. In the long run, few other than starving artist types are ever going to stick with it. Good luck trying to raise a family on it, it's hard enough as it is.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Without accurate information, or at least information trusted to be accurate most of the time, society cannot function. Democratic society especially cannot function. SOME means of dispensing accurate information in return for money will be profitable.
    The first city to lose its daily newspaper should be the first city with a news Web site that charges what information costs to produce. That's the only model that works, so far. Let people spend a few weeks or months with no news, and they're likely to be more willing to pay the freight.

Draft saved Draft deleted